One:

T’was the night before Christmas

It felt like the longest night of his life. Mac had apologized for pushing him away, and then announced the best part of the night was that not only was she still alive, but so was he.

What exactly was he supposed to make of that? Did he dare consider the possibility that maybe, just maybe, she was ready to let him into her life as fully as he wanted to be?

He shifted uncomfortably in his chair. He didn’t want to get up and turn on a light to see what time it was. Right about now, he would give anything to have Mac’s uncanny sense of time. It had to be the middle of the night.

Shifting once more onto his other hip, Harm heard Mac mumbling something. Leaning forward, he could barely hear what she was saying.

“Are you dreaming or talking to me?” He asked quietly, thinking maybe she was talking in her sleep.

“You.” She said more loudly.

“What, Mac? What do you need?” He edged up close to her bed, concern for her state growing at a frantic pace.

“4:57” She mumbled again.

“What?”

“I said, it’s 4:57.” Mac opened one eye this time to get a look at him.

Harm stared at the dark shadow that outlined her face. How in the heck did she know he wanted to know the time? Chuckling to himself, he supposed it had something to do with the fact that she even knew what time it was at all.

“Thanks.” He sat down again giving her half a smile.

“I told you to go home and get a good night’s sleep. Your back is going to give you hell to pay tomorrow.” Mac slowly opened her other eye.

“Compared to how you’ll feel, my back will be a walk in the park.” Harm smiled raising one eyebrow for emphasis.

“Gee, thanks for reminding me.” Mac grimaced attempting to shift her weight.

His eyes adjusting rapidly to the darkness of the room, Harm stood up quickly in a vain attempt to somehow ease Mac’s discomfort.

Smiling to herself at Harm’s determination, “You really are a stubborn squid, aren’t you?”

His eyebrows rose in their ritual arches, “Stubborn. Moi?”

“You’re still here.” Mac let her eyes fall shut a moment.

All playfulness disappeared from Harm’s face. Sitting back down in the chair by the bed, Harm took Mac’s hand in both of his. “I’m still here. I’ll always be here.”

Mac could barely let the sides of her mouth curl up. Her face was incredibly sore from the exploding airbag. If she had to take a trade off for still being alive, being unable to move a muscle painlessly, even in her face, was probably a pretty good deal.

“I think I’m finally starting to get that.” Squeezing her fingers tightly around Harm’s hand was probably the only thing she could do that didn’t hurt. If anything, his warm grip on her hand was the best medicine she could have.

“Close your eyes and try to go back to sleep.” Harm encouraged.

“Can’t. It’s time to get up.” Mac glanced over to the window and the darkness of the night beyond.

“Mac, where exactly do you think you’re going?” Harm steeled himself for an impending battle with his stubborn marine.

“I don’t think I’m going anywhere,” She almost snorted. “My body on the other hand, despite its somewhat dilapidated state, knows five a.m. is time to get up for work.”

“Yeah, well, it’s going to be a while before your body sets foot in the office.” If she didn’t already know this little bit of information, Harm was making sure she understood it now.

“Yes, sir.” At the moment, Mac wasn’t so sure she was fit to even nod her head, never mind, actually get up and go somewhere. “I don’t suppose you’re up to scrounging up something decent to eat?”

“If it were anybody else, I’d venture to guess you’re feeling better but knowing you, you’d probably ask for a last meal on your deathbed.” Harm shook his head, smiling.

“I was a little ‘busy’ last night and missed dinner. Are you going to help, or do I have to find someone else to feed me?”

“Power down,” Harm stood up, “I’ll see what the cafeteria has, but don’t get your hopes up too high.” He squeezed her hand one more time before letting go and stepping back.

It was well into the afternoon when the Doctor finally made an appearance. “I see you still have company.” He commented, looking down at her chart.

Despite her many efforts, Harm had refused to leave her side to go home and rest.

“If you think you’re up to it, I don’t see any reason why we can’t spring you. After all, you can lay in your own bed and recover as easily as you can here.” Turning to Harm, “She won’t need very much attention so you won’t have to sit by her bedside anymore, but you’ll still need to keep an eye on her in case anything new presents itself.”

Mac’s eyes opened wide. Glancing momentarily at Harm, she was surprised to notice he didn’t seem at all affected by the insinuation that he would be the one taking care of her. When she heard the next words that came out of Harm’s mouth, her mouth fell visibly open and her eyebrows arched up to her hairline, despite the pain.

“Is there anything in particular I need to be looking for?” Harm was focusing intently on the doctor’s words, completely oblivious to Mac’s state of shock.

“Nothing too complicated, headaches, dizziness, nausea. If she sleeps too long and you can’t wake her up, any difficulty breathing, that sort of thing.” The doctor was scribbling on Mac’s chart.

“How long do we need to be concerned?” Harm still hadn’t noticed Mac’s eyes practically bugging out of her head.

“There isn’t really any need for concern, but I wouldn’t leave her alone for at least twenty four hours, forty eight would be better.”

That was it, Mac’s voice finally found its way out of her mouth.

“Doctor, I really don’t think it’s necessary to make Harm baby sit me for the next two days.” Mac stared pointedly at the doctor, intentionally avoiding looking in Harm’s direction.

Looking up from the chart, the doctor glanced at Mac first, then at Harm. Had he misread something here? The officer had introduced himself as a friend last night, but casual friends don’t sleep at a patient’s bedside all night holding their hand.

“Mac, this is no time to be stubborn.” Harm began.

“Harm, it’s bad enough you felt obligated to sit here all night. I am not going to ask you to do this for two more days.” The distress in her voice was obvious to everyone in the room.

“You’re not asking, I’m volunteering and we are NOT arguing about this.” Harm put his other hand on top of their already clasped hands. “Please, Mac. Let me in.”

Not sure exactly what was going on, “If you prefer, we can keep you in the hospital instead.” The doctor suggested shrugging one shoulder.

“No, no. I don’t want to stay here any longer than I have to, besides, your cafeteria needs a new chef.” Mac tried to smile at the doctor. With the shock of the situation easing, she was now acutely aware of how much making faces hurt.

Mac’s apartment
Georgetown
2245

Mac was staring longingly at the porcelain tub next to her.

“Tomorrow.” Harm’s voice carried from her room.

“I know, but a long hot soak would feel so good right now.” Mac sighed, putting her toothbrush down on the sink and turning off the water. She hadn’t realized she had gotten lost in the thought of sinking into a hot bath.

Shuffling her way back to her bed, Harm met her at the doorway.

“I can make it.” She huffed.

“I know, just standing by in case.” Harm had pretty much hovered over her ever since they’d gotten home.

Mac had talked Harm into letting her stay in the living room long enough to open gifts. Before they were through, Bud had turned up with two Christmas dinners, thanks to Harriet. Mac marveled at all that Harriet managed to accomplish. She simply couldn’t comprehend how Harriet could handle two young children, loud in laws, and Christmas dinner, while pregnant with twins. Never mind worry about a sick friend.

Harm patiently waited until Mac was settled in bed before stepping up to help arrange the pillows behind her. Not that she would want to go through this again anytime soon, but if it meant spending Christmas with Harm, every ache was worth it.

“You know, you may have missed your true calling in life.” Mac giggled as she leaned back against the freshly fluffed pillows.

“Very funny.” Harm nodded, turning to leave the room.

“Where are you going?” Mac asked, her voice sounding a little more panicked than she had intended.

“I’m going to go make my bed.” Having paused to answer her, he turned back around to leave.

“Harm.”

He stopped again and looked at her.

“I am not letting you sleep on the sofa.” There was no room for argument in her voice, she was going to be stubborn about this.

“Well, I certainly hope you don’t think I’m going to let YOU sleep on the couch.” Harm sighed, prepared to do battle, the marines against the navy.

“No, I may be banged up, but my sanity is still intact, thank you. We’ve shared beds before, we can do it again.” She used her command tone of voice.

“Oh, Mac. You’re already battered and bruised, the last thing you need is for me to roll over in my sleep and clobber you.” He wasn’t about to bring up that even battered and bruised she was still a very desirable woman. He’d said that to her once, and nothing about the way he felt then, had changed now.

“You have two choices, sailor. Either you sleep here with me, or you go home.” Seeing the glint in his eyes, and his one eyebrow go up, Mac suddenly realized what she had said and couldn’t stop the flush that rushed to her ears. Her face was so colorful already you couldn’t see it, but she knew she was blushing. “You know what I meant.” She countered.

“Didn’t say a word.” Harm shook his head, raising his one hand in self defense. Turning around again, “I’m going to go get my sea bag out of the car. I’ll be back in a minute and then we can both bed down for the night.” Harm kept walking so Mac wouldn’t see the silly grin on his face. He wasn’t sure what was going on in that pretty little bruised head of hers, but he certainly hoped, if nothing else, that his best friend was back to stay.

The General had been very understanding about letting Harm take Monday off to keep tabs on Mac. Even though he was originally a little concerned over the implied closeness of his officers, the General had a pretty good idea that it wouldn’t have mattered much what he said, Rabb was going to take care of MacKenzie.

By Tuesday, Mac was delighted to see most of her regular color returning to her face. She was starting to tire of looking into the mirror and seeing a circus clown staring back at her. She also was anxious to go back to work, regardless of the stiffness she felt, just laying around all day in bed was killing her. By Thursday she somehow managed to convince the General to at least let her into the office for a few hours to avoid falling too far behind. Once again, he was originally a little concerned, but insisting on the one condition that he send someone to pick her up, he relented and gave her what she wanted.

The General had obviously come to the same conclusion as so many before him; Rabb and MacKenzie were both forces to be reckoned with, and heaven help who ever tried to stand between them.

Continue to Part Two

Return to CLK's Fanfiction

© once upon a rose garden 2003
Disclaimer: JAG and its characters are the property of Paramount Pictures, Viacom, CBS, Belisarius Productions, and Donald P. Bellisario. This site is not intended to violate any copyrights they have and is not intended for profit in any way, shape or form. It is meant to be a respectful tribute to the show and its characters and actors.
Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1