Info on setting up modems under Linux:
Intro to Linux
Urban Voice -- Instructor: Lenny Bailes
1. Visit Linmodems.org
2. Download scanModem
(This will be a .gz file that you'll need to unpack in your
3. Try running scanModem script (./scanModem) If you don't have
permission, change the permissions on the script to permit
running (see class notes).
4. If you have a compatible modem (including many standard Lucent
will tell you the name of an rpm package that you can download
with appropriate drivers.
5. Go to rpmfind.net, or use Google to retrieve the package. (With
Lucent WinModems, you must
use a package that exactly matches your system's kernel. See Day
3 or Day 4 agenda for instructions
on how to determine which kernel is installed (or use uname -r).
This link leads to a
number of Lucent drivers.
6. Install the package for your modem.
7. Go to the Network applet and configure a profile for your modem.
8. Use the KDE KPPP program to configure an Internet profile and