Disillusion

Chapter Twelve: Ever Onward Seeking Counsel


Learning to ride a horse, my horse, was not as easy as I had thought it would be. Especially since my arms still hurt from hours of glaive practice; I had a hard time managing the reins. The horse didn�t really seem to like me, either, not like I blame it. I had no idea what the heck I was doing and I even came rather close to falling off a couple times, and would have fallen were it not for the saving grasp of Mallor at my side.

We would follow the Entwash upstream for several days at a quick traveling pace before we came near to the Firien Wood and the Mering Stream that ran out of it into the Entwash. We crossed the stream with little difficulty and continued following the River Entwash up until we approached a river Mallor called the Snowbourn, which was slightly more difficult to cross. I, much to my dismay, became quite wet during that venture.

Soon enough we had crossed it and, after taking our time to dry off and to rest the horses we headed northward again, until finally we approached the Entwade, the ford by which we were going to cross the River Entwash. That trip was even more eventful than our crossing of the Snowbourn. We were able to ride the horses across it, but my horse, which was beginning to warm up to me, suddenly became nervous and threw me into the cold waters.

Needless to say, that didn�t end well. I had to climb atop Mallor�s horse and ride with him. For the next two days the horse, which I had named Firefoot (after �omer�s horse who wouldn�t exist for another nine hundred and fifty years) due my severe liking of the name, and I were giving each other the silent treatment, refusing to acknowledge each other at all. Now I know if must sound ridiculous to give a horse the silent treatment, and to some extent it is, but it did work.

We were nearing the woods of L�rien, passing through The Wold on the eastern side of Fangorn forest. It was in the midst of the plains here that Firefoot �apologized� for having thrown me into the Entwash. His apology more or less consisted of him coming up to my and wiping his big nose in my hair, but you know, whatever. I would be able to ride him whenever I wished until the last of his days. I think it had something to do with passing through The Wold. These lands would become Rohan some day several years from now, and another Firefoot would roam there.

Farther north we were forced to cross the Limlight, which was a river that emptied into the Anduin. It wasn�t very far south of L�rien, and Mallor and I knew we did not have much further to travel. Firefoot actually carried me across the river; this time there were no accidents and I was saved from journeying in wet clothes.

�Do you see that?� asked Mallor, randomly as we traveled away from the Limlight.

�Do I see what? I see a lot of things,� I replied.

He pointed ahead of us at a green line in the distance. �That line of trees up there, or at least I believe them to be trees. I think we are almost there!�

�Well, it�s about time. I really hate this traveling,� I said, thinking of how sore I was from riding the horse.

�If I do recall, you said you greatly enjoyed the scenery,� he recalled.

I just made my usual growl of annoyance at him and we both pushed our horses onward toward the tree line. The trees kept on getting bigger and bigger as we pushed onward. I could understand that; we weren�t as far away as we were before, but these things were huge. I then recalled the giant Mallorn trees that were said to grow there. I supposed that those were the golden-leafed wonders that I had read about. One word came to mind: wow.

We both agreed it would be wise to dismount our horses and enter the woods on foot, horses trailing behind. When we entered, Mallor made a move to draw his sword, but I motioned for him to put it away. I had a vague idea of what to expect here, and Mallor was suspicious and worried about an attack in the enclosed space. I knew from my knowledge of L�rien that there was more than likely a border patrol out that was watching our every move. I didn�t want to do anything that might result in me being turned into a human pincushion, so raising my hands in the air I spoke quietly, knowing that elven ears would hear me.

�Umm, hello, L�rien. I know that someone out there is watching us. We do not mean any harm. We have come here seeking advice and wisdom from your Lady Galadriel. If you could take us to her we would be mightily appreciative,� I said.

�Who are you talking to?� hissed Mallor.

�I think we are being watched, Mallor. Border patrol maybe; these elves are very secluded in these woods and they take great measures to keep it that way,� I told him.

Now if only the buggers would show up, today might not be quite so bad. I mean, I know they are immortal and can take their time with everything, but Mallor and I never had that luxury. I kept my eyes open, looking for some sign of life within the trees. I tried listening, but apparently elves didn�t make any sound while walking. So, when I turned my head to make sure Mallor was alright, and then turned it back to find a tall blonde man shoving an arrow in front of my face, I was only mildly surprised.

Well, we had made it to L�rien and been found.

Hopefully I was on my way to finding the answers to all my questions.


<< Back ¦ Next >>
Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1