Disillusion

Chapter Nineteen: Interlude for an Overview


Summarily speaking, Radagast�s account had consisted of four parts. However, before I continue in relating the whole of the incident that took place in the wizard�s humble abode, I wish to make clear my opinion concerning this matter. In accordance with the laws of illusory tales, the main character�s random apparition into another fictional universe was meant to serve some purpose. This purpose may come in the clich�d forms of some apocalyptic savior, a paramour, or a bumbling idiot.

I was doubtful that I was the first; I knew I was not the second; which left the third. Allegorically speaking, I pictured myself as the embodiment of Farce. This, if any attention had been paid to my previous accounts of this adventure, would be proven true. Thus, when my real purpose was revealed, I found myself shocked beyond belief. Of the three I was the third, a bumbling idiot, acting as a misshapen form of the first, the apocalyptic savior. Only, I was no apocalyptic savior; I was a vessel through which an angst-filled situation was prevented and an innocent life was preserved.

Now, concerning the four parts of Radagast�s account. The first had been his relation of his first dream. This dream had unveiled to him a riotous act of evil occurring within the walls of the White City of Minas Tirith. What this act really was, was the brutal murder of our mightily beloved Mallor, perpetrated by none other than the citizens of the aforementioned city.

The second part to this relation would be his second dream, having been seen the very next night. In this dream he saw none other than me in my own world, one exceedingly foreign to the wizard. By his accounting I was a rather gloomy person, yet this remains a mystery to him, and to me. The cause of that certain case of moping cannot yet be revealed.

The third part to this lot of odd happenings was a third in final dream. In this vision, Radagast saw two things. The first was what �would have been�. I suppose by this he meant what the world would have been like had he not gone around messing with the space-time continuum or something. What exactly would have been is still a mystery to me, for the wizard did not deign to elaborate on that thought. The second part to his final dream was what �now may be�. By that I would judge that he saw many of the things that have already happened, and still some more that he shall not reveal them to us.

I can tell you no more than that, for I know no more. Wizards are very secretive and confusing people, I must tell you. They share only what they deem fit and leave the rest up to you to figure out. That or the case may be that you are left to be driven insane by your desire to figure out what his random blathering might truly mean. With that said, I shall continue.

The fourth and final part of this entire ridiculous situation was revealing to Mallor and me how exactly I came to be of this world, or more precisely, in this world. Once again, the wizard was quite vague on this subject. But I was able to gather several bits of information and to infer therein. This information I shall dispense now.

Apparently Radagast the Brown was greatly disturbed by the dreams he was having. He was saddened to see such youths as Mallor and me facing such lives as we were bound to have. Thus, he took the liberty to alter the course of history. So, he developed a plan. In this plan, he utilized the help of a certain �higher power�, which I can only assume to be one of the Valar, perhaps Yavanna whom he serves. Of this I shall make no real assumptions.

Having determined that the lad he saw in his dream could be somehow saved by the lass from the other, and those thoughts being relatively confirmed by his third dream, he used said �higher power� to transport me into Middle-earth. Conveniently, he knew that if I were to arrive in Minas Morgul at the time of King E�rnur�s disappearance, I would be found by the royal entourage. Mallor, being a member of that entourage, would meet me, and upon my exile from Gondor, would be recruited by Aratan to take me to safety.

Apparently there was to be some type of uprising within Minas Tirith, primarily anger at the loss of the king, which I can only assume was taken out on the king�s royal guard who was with him at the time of his disappearance. Whether these things still took place, I cannot be certain. I can only hope that Aratan and the others faired better than Mallor would have. Perhaps someday I will find out how they are.

But I now have my answers.

We travel north upon the morrow.


<< Back ¦ Next >>
Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1