Disillusion

Chapter Thirty Five: Concerning What Was Missed


Ideally, it would have been my wish to speak with Elrond concerning all that had come to pass while I was as one departed from this world. However, the Lord of Imladris seemed a bit on edge, maybe even flustered, and for what reason I did not know. It was Erestor who suggested that I allow him to explain all that had come to pass, elsewhere. Sensing that there was more to all of this than met the eye, Mallor and I agreed.

We left the room in which we had found Elrond, and Erestor led us silently to one of the gardens of Imladris. It was small and quiet, somewhat dreary, for the haze of the early morning had yet to have lifted. There were two stone benches opposite on another within the square garden. Mallor and I sat on the one, opposite Erestor who sat upon the other.

�In all my life, I have noted that in half of a millennium, many things are wont to change,� began Erestor softly.

�Exactly how much has changed, Erestor?� I asked impatiently. I knew that there was something bothering him, along with everyone else around Imladris, Lord Elrond included. I just wanted him to say it. �What has happened while we were dead?�

�There is now a twelfth steward in the great land of Gondor, called Cirion, if perhaps that interests you. You were, after all, there for the loss of their last king and the establishment of the very first steward. As expected, all the mortals you knew here when you were still alive, are now departed from this world. Also, should it interest you, city of Osgiliath has been essentially destroyed by the reappearance of evil in the land of Mordor,� he explained.

�Osgiliath destroyed by the forces of Mordor? How can this be so?� cried Mallor, remembering his homeland. Osgiliath had at one time, long ago, been the glorious capital of Gondor. It was old and had partly been in shambles when Mallor was still living there, but nearly five hundred years was bound to change even a place that was once so great. �Lord, what do you mean by the reappearance of evil?�

�Nearly thirteen years after you died, evil powers could be felt growing. The White Council, in their wisdom, saw fit to send one of their number to Dol Guldur to investigate. They had thought it to be one of the Nazg�l, but was truly Sauron disguised in the form of a Necromancer. Sauron fled into the east and the Nazg�l took over Dol Guldur officially. He returned from the east nearly fifty years ago,� clarified Erestor.

�Where is this Dol Guldur?� I asked in my utter ignorance.

�It is a vile place in the southern part of the realm of Mirkwood,� answered Erestor. �There have also been kingdoms in the south that have been established. About eighty or so years after you died, a place called Dol Amroth was founded by a descendant of a N�men�rian. Within the past year or so, Gondor has granted land to the horsemen of the northernmost territories. What you, Mallor, may have known as Calenardhon is now being known as Rohan.�

�Then you were telling the truth when you said that a good deal had happened. However, that does not answer my question concerning all that has happened here,� I interjected, hoping to pull an answer out of him. I was no psychic, but I felt that something was wrong. The whole place felt so entirely different since I was last here and I did not think I could go on without knowing why.

�The light of Imladris has been dimmed,� he said sadly. �Lady Celebr�an, wife to Elrond was attacked by orcs while traveling through the Redhorn Pass. She has been poisoned, and lays ill and weary now.�

�This is dreadful news to hear. Will she recover?� asked Mallor, genuinely concerned.

�Elrond has treated her well; the poison is no longer the concern that is had for her. She has been harmed within her soul, her heart,� replied Erestor, his tone somber. �She was found by her sons, tortured and broken in the mountains. There are many wounds in this place that require healing, as you see.�

�There is no balm for such wounds as those inflicted upon the heart and soul,� said Mallor.

�This is the truth, Mallor. We must now rely on hope and time, and I pray that our light will return to us once more. I fear that it is too soon to determine what will happen next. As chief councilor of Imladris, I have tried my hardest to make things right again, but there is still only so much that one can do,� he told us.

�I think now that perhaps the Valar truly did have a purpose in sending us here at such a time. There is no room for happenstance here,� I said, analyzing the situation in my head. �Perhaps while Mallor and I still dwell here, we can ease the suffering of your Lady Celebr�an, as well as that of your people.�

I knew nothing of the emotions of elves, save for what I saw when I was among them. Erestor�s words had touched me deeply just now, and I felt as though I would be doing a great disservice to sit by and do nothing. I had heard it said that elves could die from the most extreme grief, and here in Rivendell I had felt that grief in the very air.

I determined in that instant that I would do as much as I was able for Elrond and his family.

The only problem was figuring out what I could ever possibly do that would actually make a difference.


<< Back ¦ Next >>
Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1