Root of Evil

by Holly

Chapter Three

Jess rode with a heavy heart. He really didn't care if he never saw his grandpa again, ever. But Slim thought it important to settle things, so he would ride to Laramie tomorrow and face the old man one last time.

He had thought meeting Slim was the chance of a new start, an end to his old life. But then Jack had showed up, and all the hate and fear was back as if it were yesterday. He knew Slim was right. Unless he dealt with it now, he would never be free. The hate and fear would continue to haunt and influence his life as they had for the last 10 years or so.

All day he had rehearsed just what he would say to his grandpa, and he still hadn't got it right. His fear was the old man would not accept his decision and cause trouble.

He was just riding down the slope towards the ranch, deep in thought, when a fox ran out from the brush immediately in front of him.

Traveller started and reared and Jess was thrown. He landed heavily amidst the tangled and broken roots and branches of a tree overturned in the storms. Both horse and fox ran in opposite directions leaving Jess lying where he had fallen.

Jonesy looked to Slim an eyebrow raised that spoke volumes.

Slim said, "I think I'll ride out and find Jess. You take Andy and get supper started, Jess'll be hungry when we get back."

"Maybe he's gone to see his grandpa," Andy suggested.

"Sure. Bet he has," Slim said. But the fear was that Jess had just left as he had threatened yesterday.

Jonesy shook his head knowing exactly what was going through Slim's mind. "Maybe so," and led Andy inside.

Jess wasn't in town. Mort Corey said he'd keep a watch for him, but Slim's hopes were fading fast. To make matters worse, Jack insisted on returning to the ranch. Slim argued that staying in town and waiting for Jess as planned would be better, but the old man turned a deaf ear.

The ride was slow with Jack not seeming to hurry himself. They got arrived back at to the ranch, and Slim stopped only long enough to refill a canteen.

"What's the hurry?" asked Jack.

Slim replied that once he lost daylight it would be more difficult to find any signs.

Surprised, Jack said, "You really don't expect to find him, do you?"

Slim could feel his hackles rising and through gritted teeth said, "Sure I do, and maybe you might like to come along seeing as you really have such a high regard for your grandson."

Slim didn't wait for a reply. He headed up towards where Jess was supposed to have been working.

Sure enough, a neat row of wire confirmed Jess had been there, most of the day too, as the work was complete.

Slim began to make his way back towards the ranch taking the narrow trails Jess would have used.

It was after about an hour that he turned off the main track and began to fan out looking for any sign at all that a rider had passed by. As he cleared a small hill he thought he caught a movement in the trees. Urging his horse down the slope, he finally saw what exactly had attracted his attention. Traveller, Jess' horse, was standing alone.

Slim gazed around, but saw no sign of Jess. He slowly moved closer and bent to retrieve the trailing rein when he thought he heard a slight moan. He froze in mid-movement and listened.

All that reached his ears was the rustle of wind through the brush, bird calls, and the stomping of Travellers hooves as he moved around restlessly. Thinking he must have been mistaken, Slim turned, but then he heard it again, louder this time, and coming from his left.

All he could see was tangled branches and snapped roots where a tall old pine had fallen. It's roots were exposed like a big spider clawing for the sky. Certain he had heard a cry, Slim dismounted and moved to where he could see through the tangled mass. A patch of faded blue...

Without a thought, he raced around to the other side of the tree and gasped as he saw Jess lying unconscious with what looked like a branch of the fallen tree embedded in his side.

Slim moved forward slowly, hardly daring to breathe. If Jess moved he could drive the stake further in and do more damage. Slim knelt and bent to get a clearer view of the wound. The branch wasn't large, little more than a twig, but it looked as if it had driven deep. He knew he couldn't leave Jess to fetch help. It would take too long. He was going to have to deal with this himself. He looked at where the offending branch joined the main trunk. At that point, it had thickened out and would be difficult to cut, so Slim decided there was nothing to do but to try to sever it as near to the point of entry as possible because its girth was narrowest there.

He drew his pocket knife, but then remembered Jess sometimes carried a knife in his boot. So he crawled down to Jess' legs and carefully felt the soft leather. Sure enough there was the distinctive bulge in the right boot. He pushed a thumb and forefinger inside and drew out the slick bone handled knife. At least with this he would make short work of the branch. Moving back he had scarcely drew level with the wound before Jess gave a loud sign and moved causing the branch to be driven in deeper.

Jess cried out in agony.

Slim yelled "No Jess, lie still, don't move!"

He didn't have to repeat the order. Jess was out cold again. Slim knew he couldn't waste time. He had to take full advantage of the time Jess would be unconscious to do what he must to get him free.

Slim steadied the branch with one hand and began to hack at it with the knife in the other.

At first it seemed as if the razor-sharp blade made no impact, but then slowly the bark chipped away, and Slim began to make progress. Finally, it was thin enough to snap with his hands.

The movement caused Jess to groan in agony and his eyes finally opened and bleary with pain focused on his boss. "Slim�" He fought for breath, "that you?"

"Who do you think it'd be? Lay still, Pard. I'm just going to fetch some water." Jess barely nodded before his dark lashes closed over his eyes, and he was unconscious again.

Slim came back with his canteen and saddle blanket. He slowly rolled Jess further onto his side, rolled the saddle blanket under him for support, and carefully sliced through the pale blue shirt until he could pull it away and expose the area where the branch or what was left of it protruded from just below Jess' armpit. There was very little blood, which was a blessing and made the job of removing the shaft easier. Slim sat, dug his heels in the soft ground, and took the end of the wood with both hands. He gave a quick look at Jess' ashen face. The breathing was spasmodic, laboured. He knew it was now or never. Slim gritted his teeth, said a quick prayer, and pulled.

He kept telling himself this was no different than when he had to remove a Indian arrow from Jonesy all those years ago. He'd been a lot younger then. Hadn't thought of the risks, just went ahead and did it. This time it wasn't so easy. He knew he could be doing more damage than good. But it was getting late. The wind was turning colder. Jess wouldn't last long enough for him to get to town and back. So it was here now or Jess would surely die. Slim closed his eyes. He could hear the noise of the wood against flesh. His hands were suddenly wet. As he looked down at them, the wood was suddenly free, and he fell back with the momentum of his pull. The bloody stick still held firmly in his hands. It was short, only maybe three or four inches. It's end was jagged. Slim looked to where Jess lay. Throughout the whole messy removal, he hadn't uttered a sound.

Fear suddenly gripped Slim, and he struggled upright and moved beside Jess. He could see bright blood oozing at a steady rate from the wound, but there didn't seem to be any breathing at all. Slim rolled Jess once more so that this time he lay on his back and then bent so his cheek was close to Jess' mouth. At first, there was nothing at all, then a faint wisp of air. Slim moved so he could lay his ear on the unconscious man's chest. There was a heart beat. He breathed a big sigh of relief and began to rip off pieces of Jess' shirt, already ragged, into bandage size strips.

The doctor washed his hands in the bowl and reached to accept the clean towel from Jonesy. "He'll be just fine."

"You sure Doc?" asked Slim. "That was a hell of a lot of blood."

"Sure I'm sure. Who's the doctor around here?"

"Well, Jonesy most of the time," piped up Andy. "He took my wobbly tooth out yesterday. Look." He proceeded to tug down his lip so the doctor could see the gap.

"Well, that sure is a big space you got there Andy, but I can see you've got another tooth growing just fine." He turned to Slim. "Jess will make blood to replace what he lost given he gets plenty bed rest. The wound is stitched. As long as he doesn't go riding too soon, the stitches should stay in till I get back here in a week or so. If I don't, you can take 'em out. Just keep the wound clean till then. The bill is $20 that includes the hire of a horse to get here. Next time your hands get thrown tell em to land in clover, not brush and such."

Slim moved to the small brass vase on the cupboard and took a small wad of notes. He peeled off twenty dollars and handed it to the doctor. "Want a receipt?"

"No." Slim said as he opened the door for the doctor.

"Oh, by the way, I left some pain killer on the side of the bed. He might be in a bit of pain, so give him three drops. That should knock him out for a few hours at least. If you get worried, I'll be over the far vista ranch. They're expecting their fifth child any day now. Then, all being well, I'll be back in town. I'm getting too old for all this dashing about."

"Thanks Doc." Slim shook his hand and showed him out.

On his return, Slim went into the small bedroom he shared with Jess.

Jack rose from where he had been sitting beside his grandson. "Doctor left, Slim?"

"Yes. Says he'll be back in a week unless we're worried." He looked down to where Jess lay, the blanket tucked neatly under his chin. He was still pale, but breathing easier.

"Will you stay with him Jack? The stage will be here in ten minutes," Slim asked.

"Surely."

"Thanks."

Jonesy entered the room looking worried. "The stage just pulled in Slim. You comin'?"

"It's early."

"Always the way. If we was we sittin' here waiting, it would be runnin' late."

While Slim and Jonesy left to deal with changing the team, Andy came to sit with Jack beside Jess' bed.

"He wont die will he?" asked the boy.

Jack looked at him with a hardness Andy hadn't seen before. "No, not yet. His time isn't come yet. The devil isn't ready to take back his own just yet." The old man sighed, "Sorry boy, you go see if you can help out your brother. Isn't anything you can do here."

"But I want to be with Jess," Andy protested.

"Respect your elder boy! I said there was nothin' you can do here. Now do as you're told." His tone of voice brooked no protest. Andy slowly got up and left after taking one last glance at where Jess lay.

The following morning Jess was awake and propped up in bed.

"How are you feeling Jess?" asked Slim as he handed him a cup of coffee.

The hand that took the cup trembled, but the voice was strong. "Better, thanks to you Slim."

"Well next time you fancy falling off old Traveller, just do it closer to home buddy."

Jess sipped the coffee. "Ugh! What's this?"

"Coffee."

"You sure? Tastes like�" Jess licked his lips "vinegar."

"Jonesy made it. Guess he added a little something of his own."

"Well that's sure to kill or cure I guess," Jess said taking the rest of the drink in one gulp.

"Andy wants to know if he can come sit with you a while after school."

"Sure. What time is it?"

"Must be getting on for noon. You slept well. Doc said you need to sleep and rest and you'll be up and around in no time."

"I feel okay now. Help me up."

"No! You just hunker down there. You can get up tomorrow. Sit in the chair, mind you."

"Aw, Slim, you're actin' like..."

"Your ma?" Jack asked.

Both Slim and Jess turned to face the old man who stood in the doorway.

Jess' face hardened. "No, I was going to say like a mother hen." Jess rubbed a hand across his eyes. "Slim I'm pure tuckered out. Could you both leave me to sleep now?"

"But I thought you said...."

Slim stopped mid sentence as he saw the old man turn and leave. "You made it mighty obvious that you didn't want him here Jess. Can't you just let things be until he leaves? He was really concerned for you."

"Was he? Well no need 'cuz as soon as he goes, I'll feel a whole mite better Slim."

"You going to tell me what it really is between you too?

"More than a few beatings, I'll wager."

Jess chewed a lip as he thought it over, then said, "Well, when I was a kid, we lived basic, real basic. My ma did her best with what my pa could scratch from the land. That wasn't much, but we was happy. Least at first we were, then he came."

"Jack?"

"Yeah, my grandpa. He just turned up one day, like he did here. Just like he did here." Jess couldn't hide the bitterness in his voice. "He seemed nice enough, least to us kids he did, but we didn't know what he was really like." He closed his eyes as if trying to shut out the memory." He was my ma's pa. He never took to her marryin' anyone, let alone a dirt farmer who had no land of his own. No one would have been good 'nough for Jack Dale. No sir! Ma had run off to marry, she crossed half of Texas to get away from her pa, and she really thought she was free of him. Then there he was. After nearly twenty years, he tracked her down.

He played it real cool to start. Brought presents for her and Pa. Got real friendly like when all the time, he was plottin' and plannin' to get her back. Finally, Pa had enough and drove him off. I don't know what went on, but it was real bad 'cuz ma cried a lot during those weeks."

"But that was a long time ago Jess. Jack just wanted his daughter in his life, didn't he? That's normal, surely? To want to see your child."

Jess shook his head. "No. Oh, he wanted his daughter alright! Just didn't want the rest of us." His voice shook with passion.

"We didn't see him again until after the Bannister's raid. He turned up at the ministers house, that's where the law took us, me, Francie, and Aron. He was SO pleased to see us. Why, he took us there and then told the minister he was taking us back to his place. We hadn't got out of the county before he was calling us names. Slim, he was crazy. He was cursin' my pa. He blamed him for everything. He even took us to where Ma and Pa was buried and hired someone to dig up Ma and take her back to his place. Once we got there, he made Francie work in the house while me and Aron worked on the land. I got regular whippin's 'cuz I dropped things."

"Dropped things?" Slim interrupted.

"My hands were burnt trying to save one of my brothers from the fire set by the Bannisters. They took a long time to heal."

"He made you work with injured hands?" Slim was trying to believe Jess, but it was hard to think the frail old man sitting outside could have been so cruel.

"He spent hours just sittin' by Ma's grave, talkin' to her. Once Francie said we should put flowers there. He tore them off, called us awful names, and tried to hit Francie, but she hid. It was after that that I decided to save every dollar I could. I even stole, given the chance, Francie and Aron contributed what they could until finally I had enough." "What for? To help you get away?"

"No. To buy a gun."

"Why?" But Slim knew. He could tell why just by the look on Jess' face.

"To kill him. To kill Jack Dale."

"What happened?"

"Oh, I waited my chance. Finally, I managed to get him alone in the barn. He thought he was going to give me another beatin' till he saw the gun. He changed his tune alright. Suddenly, he was my grandpa, lovin' and kind...so sorry� so damn sorry..." a pause then "Well, I tried to pull the trigger, but it was too stiff."

He smiled ironically. "Should've known I had been sold a dud, some old relic, probably been sittin' in a celler fer years. It didn't take Jack long. He busted my arm trying to take that gun off me. That was the night I took off. Went on the drift."

"You left Francie and Aron?"

"I planned to go and learn to shoot, so I could go back and finish what I had started, but then I heard Aron was dead and Francie had run away too. We was always runnin', but he always found us, so I just kept goin' thinkin' if I went far enough, long enough, I could forget. The war came, and I thought after that I 'd be free of it all. Prayed he'd be dead and gone.... Seems I was wrong".

"I'm sorry Jess. I didn't know you had it that bad."

"Francie had it worse. I shouldn't have left her, but I thought Aron was there with her. He was older, he'd protect her."

"How did he die? Do you know?"

"Francie found out I was working on a ranch out Abilene way. Sent me a telegram. Aron shot himself 'cuz Jack took him outta school. He was tryin' to be a teacher. He always was the cleverest of us. Jack wanted him home....."

"I don't understand. If he hated you all so much, why did he try so hard to get you back?"

"Simple, he never forgave my pa for taking his daughter away, but he always thought she'd go back to the comforts he could give her that pa couldn't. But when we was born, that kinda nailed that. No way would ma have left us young'uns. I guess when she died, he decided it was our fault. Without us, she'd maybe have gone home to him and not died in the Bannister raid. Jack has been punishing us one by one ever since."

"Jess this is your home for as long as you want it. Jack will be on the next stage out of here."

"Thanks Slim."

It was nearly breakfast time when Andy went into Jess' bedroom. He rushed back almost immediately calling for Slim and Jonesy.

"Andy! Quiet down! You'll wake Jess, and he needs rest," Jonesy called from the kitchen.

"Come quick! There's something wrong with Jess. I can't wake him up,"Andy gasped tugging at Jonesy's apron.

Jonesy dropped the knife he was using and followed Andy into the small side room. Andy was leaning over the bed, so Jonesy pulled him away saying, "Go find Slim." He laid a hand on Jess' forehead. It was hot.

Carefully, Jonesy pulled down the blanket and lifted the night-shirt until he could peel away the wad that covered the healing wound. The skin around the injury looked healthy. The puncture was still neatly stitched and dry, with no sign of infection..

Jess lay still and when Jonesy checked his eyes, there was no reaction. It was as if he were dead if it wasn't for the high temperature.

Jack stood at the door. "Is he dead?" he asked.

"No, and he won't be if I have anything to do with it." Jonesy said. "You stay with him, I need to fetch something from the barn."

As he rose to leave, Andy came rushing back panting, closely followed by Slim.

"Jess?"

"Stay there, I won't be long " Jonesy ordered before hurrying towards the barn.

Slim knelt down bedside the bed and felt Jess' forehead. "What's the matter with him?"

Jack answered calmly "He's the devil's spawn. Maybe he's paying for all those sins."

Slim rose in one lithe movement and grabbed Jack by the scruff of his coat. He propelled him to the front door, then he pushed, sending the old man sprawling in the front yard.

"Get out, and stay out you silly old fool! I don't care if you have to walk back to Laramie. Get out of my sight!" With that, he slammed the door and went back to wait for Jonesy.

He didn't wait long. Jonesy came back carrying a bottle and spoon. "Move," he ordered.

Slim took Andy by his arm and stood back as Jonesy quickly shook the bottle.

"Okay, Slim, lift his head."

Carefully, Slim raised Jess' head and looked to where Jonesy carefully poured some green colored liquid onto the spoon. "What's the matter with him?"

"I'd take a guess at an overdose," Jonesy said simply.

"Overdose? What of?"

"That there painkiller the doc' left," replied Jonesy as he tipped the poured liquid between Jess' lips.

"But we haven't used it yet."

"Then check the bottle," the elder man said.

"I'll do it" said Andy eager to be involved. He crossed to the dresser and took the bottle from the top. "Hey Slim, it's been opened!" he exclaimed rushing back to show the evidence.

Slim snatched the bottle and checked the stopper then held it to the light. "A quarter empty!"

"What'd I tell you," Jonesy said as he gently brushed damp hair from Jess' forehead. "This here boy's been poisoned, and I wouldn't take a nickel to guess by who."

"Wait here!" Slim ordered anger clear in his voice. He marched back out to the yard and across to where the old man was standing.

"You tried to poison Jess," he accused.

"No. He is poison. The Lord..." He didn't finish because Slim twisted an arm behind his back.

"I was just going to be satisfied with you leavin', but not now. Now you take a ride with me to see Mort Corey. You tried to murder my friend, and you'll pay dearly for it."

"But you don't understand... my daughter is dead, and he is still alive. That can't be right. She was an innocent girl, beautiful, the world at her feet, and he is a killer, a no-good gunman. How can you defend him? She nearly died giving him life and what for? What good is he? "

Slim turned the old man to face him. "Jess is my friend. He might not live up to your ideals, but he has more goodness in him than you'll ever know. Shall I tell you something? If your daughter was as perfect a person as you believe, then I think if you'd befriended Jess instead of vilifying him, you would have found just how like his mother he probably is. You were incredibly lucky that three of her children survived that raid, but instead of thanking God for your good fortune, you spat in His face."

"No you are a fool if you believe that Sherman. Why he has the looks of his no-good father. He had the black hair of the devil�"

Slim took a wild guess "and the blue eyes of his mother?"

Jack seemed to collapse at that. Slim thought maybe he had been too hard on him, and was regretting his harsh words when he saw the arrow sticking out of Jacks back. The old man was dead before he hit the floor. Slim, knowing there was nothing he could do to help him, let go and ran for the house yelling for Jonesy to get a gun. Arrows were landing at his feet. The sound of arrows thudding as they hit the door behind him told Slim this was the uprising he had been dreading.

"Andy! Get a gun!" he yelled as Jonesy thrust a rifle into his hands and left to cover the kitchen window.

Andy appeared ashen faced at the bedroom door. "Andy, get a gun," Slim repeated.

"But you said I wasn't to handle one yet," the boy replied.

"Get Jess' gun. Do it now! Then get into the bedroom and stay there. If anyone tries to get in, shoot them. Understand?"

Andy crossed to where Jess' gunbelt hung on the hook and took out the gun. He needed both hands to hold it steady. Although this was Jess' working gun and didn't have a hair trigger, it still only needed a light touch to fire it.

"You be careful," Slim yelled. "Don't go blowin' a foot off."

"Don't worry Slim. Jess taught me how to hold it."

"Oh, he did, did he?" Slim for once was glad although he feigned disapproval.

"Are we going to die?" Andy asked.

Jonesy shouted from the kitchen. "Sure are! 'Less you go do as your told."

Andy disappeared into the bedroom closing the door behind him. The gunfire started almost at the same time as Slim caught sight of an Indian creeping in the shadow of the barn. Jonesy got a better shot and the Indian fell dead or was so badly wounded as to make him harmless. The attack grew in intensity and before long Slim knew they would be overrun.

Suddenly there was a crashing noise and a couple of shots from the bedroom.

Leaving his window, Slim ran to the bedroom. Dropping the rifle, he drew his colt and kicked the door open.

Andy was crouching in a corner terrified. Jess sat propped up in the bed, his face white as a sheet, gun in his hand, a dead Indian sprawled half in and half out the broken window.

Slim pushed the dead Indian out through what remained of the window frame, and turned to Andy. "You all right?"

"Y-yes"

"Jess?"

"Yes. What the hell is happening?"

"Tell you later. Just keep doin' what you're doing."

Gunfire drew Slim back in to the living room. Jonesy was giving good blanket fire, but how long would their ammo' hold out?

Slim just hoped the Indians would grow weary of the fight and move on to easier prey.

It was just short of an hour later that rescue came in the form of Jeb and Jake Miller and most of their crew. They had heard the gunfire and guessed what was happening.

With so many whites now defending the Sherman ranch, the Indians beat a hasty retreat back towards the hills where later that day they were rounded up by an army patrol and escorted back to the reservation.

Slim, Jonesy, and Andy sat well into the night talking with the Millers who stayed to ensure all was safe and that all the Indians had indeed been rounded up.

Jess slept in the next room completely exhausted after the day's events. He had refused any more of Jonesy's 'remedy' saying he'd been poisoned once that day already.

Slim didn't tell him of Jack Dale's death. That could wait until morning.

The gathering at the town cemetery was small. Slim stood, his hand resting lightly on Andy's shoulder. Jonesy stood nearby.

The Miller boys turned up. After all, they had helped cart the body to the undertakers, so they felt involved as much as anyone there. All stood around in the bitter wind, hats held in respect, as the circuit minister began the service.

Jed Miller looked around the small crowd and turned to Slim whispering, "Where's Jess?"

Slim frowned. "He rode off two days ago."

"Left?"

"Yes, took his gear."

"How's Andy takin' it?"

"Not good." Slim looked down at the small figure whose head was bowed in prayer.

The service continued. The minister was saying something along the lines Jack had been a man with deep religious beliefs. Slim couldn't bring himself to listen. He bent and whispered in Andy's ear. "You all right? Not too cold?"

"I was just praying for Jack, and Jess, an' me."

"Oh?"

"Yes. That Jack gets peace wherever he's going and that Jess is safe wherever he is now."

"And what about you Tiger?" Slim could have bitten his tongue. Tiger was Jess' nickname for Andy, but the boy didn't seem too upset at hearing it.

"I prayed for me that Jess'll come home soon."

"Now Andy, that's a mighty big prayer for the Almighty to deal with all at once. I wouldn't be expecting it all to be dealt with for quite a while." Slim hoped his words helped Andy deal with the disappointment he was bound to feel when he found his prayers weren't answered.

Tears filled the boys eyes as he looked up to his big brother. "Jess isn't coming home, is he?"

"I doubt it Andy. He was pretty upset. A man hurt like that needs space and time to heal. Maybe he'll be back one day."

The minister closed his prayer book, said a few comforting words to the mourners, and then they headed towards the exit. Slim knew the minister and the Millers would be heading for the nearest saloon, so he didn't bother to keep up with them, but set his pace in line with Andy's. Jonesy followed behind. It was his gasp that made Slim and Andy turn to see what had startled him.

Jonesy merely pointed to the small hill to their left. This was the oldest part of the graveyard, mostly unattended, littered with broken markers and weeds.

At first, with the wind drawing tears to his eyes, Slim couldn't see just what Jonesy was looking at. Then Andy pointed towards an old tree that stood alone. There was a lone figure standing in its shadows.

Slowly, the man moved down the hill.

Jess stood gazing down at the freshly dug grave. He looked as if he hadn't slept in some time. His clothes were rumpled, his hair ruffled.

No one said anything.

Jess, hat in hand, finally looked up to Slim, tears in his eyes, and said simply, "He was my Grandpa."



 Shoot an Email to the author!



Back to
Fanfic Home
Back to
Root of Evil Home
Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1