The term diabetes describes either a deficiency of insulin or a decreased ability of the body to use insulin, which is a hormone secreted by the pancreas. Insulin allows glucose (sugar) to enter body cells and be converted to energy. Insulin is also needed to synthesize protein and store fats. In uncontrolled diabetes, glucose and lipids (fats)remain in the bloodstream and, with time, damage the body's vital organs and contribute to heart disease.
Diabetes contributes into two main types: Non-Insulin-Dependent Diabetes Mellinus (NIDDM)and Insulin-Dependent Diabetes Mellinus (IDDM). The most common type is classified NIDDM. It is 90% of those with diabetes and usually affects after the age of 40. The other type -IDDM_ appears less than 10% of those with diabetes. Although this type of diabetes can occur at any age, it most often affects in childhood or the teen years.