Harm’s office
A few weeks later

“Remind me again why the Admiral gave us the Ryan appeal?” Mac grumbled while untaping another box of files. “This makes how many boxes, eight?”

“Just pray Ensign Parks doesn’t locate any more boxes or we’ll be reviewing the files in the hallway.” Glancing quickly through the contents of the box, Harm closed it and shifted it onto the ‘to be reviewed in more detail later’ pile. Turning around to retrieve another box, Harm saw Mac carrying the box she’d been rummaging through over to the same pile.

“Careful, Mac! What do you think you’re doing!” Harm exclaimed, snatching the box from her. “You shouldn’t be doing that.”

“Doing what?” Mac furrowed her brow curiously. Understanding suddenly dawning, “Harmon Rabb, Jr. Have you completely lost your mind? There isn’t anyone in this room except you and me. No one can see us. Of course I can lift the damn box!”

“Sorry, Mac, sometimes I forget.” Taking a step around the boxes to his desk, he sat down heavily. “Some days the line between reality and pretense gets awfully blurry.” Harm had indeed taken Harriet’s advice and often found himself thinking of Mac as really pregnant with his child. The thought filled him with a sense of pride and joy he had never imagined, only to be replaced by a gaping sense of loss when reality slapped him in the face, like now.

Feeling suddenly guilty for having jumped down his throat, “I shouldn’t have gotten so upset. It’s just so difficult having you pretend to be taking care of me all the time in front of everyone, I’m not used to it. I feel like what little value I have has been deemed inconsequential.”

“Mac…” Harm got up and stepped closer to her, resting his hand on her fore arm, resisting the temptation to gently caress the side of her beautiful face.

“I know, it’s silly and I’m sorry. I don’t want to go into psychoanalysis here. I’m just sorry I lost my temper, please forgive me.” Mac smiled.

“There’s nothing to forgive, I think this whole waiting thing has us both a little on edge.” Harm slowly let go of her arm.

“You’re probably right.” Mac reached for another box when they were interrupted by a knock on the door.

“Excuse me, sir. The Admiral wants to know why he hasn’t seen the final report on the Clemmons case.” Petty Officer Coates reported. “He said to tell you he wants it on his desk by close of day.”

“Thank you. I’ll take care of it.” Harm sighed softly. “I’m going to have to leave you to scavenge on your own for a short while. I left all the papers on Clemmons at my place. I was going to finish it up tonight in a less cluttered environment. Obviously, that’s not going to happen. I should be back within the hour.” Harm grabbed his cover and nodded apologetically to Mac.

“No problem. If you don’t see me when you get back just tell the Admiral the boxes swallowed me.”

Harm’s apartment
30 minutes later

Jingling his keys anxiously, Harm hurriedly undid the locks to his front door. Leaving the door wide open behind him, it took only a few short strides to reach his desk. Intending to grab the file and run, Harm stood suddenly still when he didn’t see the file he was expecting on the desktop. Instead of the Clemmons’ file sitting on top of the pile where he'd left it that morning, he saw the file for a DDO case against Petty Officer Brown.

"That's strange. Brown should be on the bottom." Harm muttered to himself. Something wasn't right here. Scanning the desk quickly, Harm noticed the bottom drawer was slightly open, definitely not the way he'd left it.

Stepping away from the desk, Harm turned back towards the door in time to see a metallic flash swinging towards him. Instinctively, he immediately shifted in an attempt to dodge the blow. Only partially successful, Harm’s arm began to go numb at the impact of the shiny object against his shoulder.

With a loud grunt, Harm shoved against his assailant in an effort to gain some reaction time in preparation for whatever came next.

It wasn’t enough, the shadowy figure had moved closer grabbing a hold of Harm. Using Harm’s momentum, he swung Harm into the wall by the desk.

Momentarily stunned, lights danced in front of Harm's eyes when his head bounced off the wall. Shaking his head briefly to try and clear it, Harm turned to catch a glimpse just as the dark shadow swung again, this time connecting with the side of Harm's head before everything turned to black.

Harm’s office
JAG headquarters
50 minutes later

Mac was starting to see double reading through all the files. Mattoni’s chicken scratch was horrible enough to have been a doctor’s handwriting. It had been an hour and 26 minutes since Harm went home to get the papers he needed. Three times in the last hour Mac had reached for the phone to call him. This time her crossed eyes, and the sick feeling in the pit of her stomach, insisted she pick up the phone and follow through.

Not getting a response from his home phone or cell, Mac dialed Jennifer.

“Jen, have you heard from the Commander since he left to get the Clemmons’ file?” Mac asked, tapping her fingers nervously on the desk.

“No, ma’am. Haven’t seen or heard from him since I left you and him earlier.”

Taking mere seconds to make up her mind. “If the Admiral wants either of us, tell him we’ve been lost in the archives searching for more files.” Something wasn’t right, she just knew it. “I should be back within the hour.”

Grabbing her purse and cover, Mac made a beeline for the parking lot.

Stepping off the elevator, she wasn’t at all surprised to see Harm’s front door wide open. Approaching the door slowly, she wished that she’d had the good sense to bring a weapon. Listening for any sounds of activity, Mac inched her way into the apartment.

Turning to scan the apartment from the bedroom to the living room, all the blood rushed from her face when she spotted the limp body sprawled on the floor.

Making a dash to his side, she immediately forgot about the possibilities of anyone hiding somewhere in the apartment. Checking first for a pulse, she breathed easier until she saw the dark liquid pooling beside Harm’s head.

Reaching around his body she touched the small puddle, as if there were any doubt it was going to be Harm’s blood.

“Harm, can you hear me? Harm.” She called tapping his face lightly. “Harm!”

Noticing the brass lamp base for the first time, lying not too far from the body, Mac cursed as she whipped out her cell phone.

Dialing the all too familiar 911, Mac grew impatient at the never ending ringing. What was the point of an emergency number if the system was always over worked.

Trying to remain calm watching Harm’s lifeless body, Mac jumped at the sound of a human voice at the other end of the call. “This is Colonel Sarah MacKenzie of the JAG corps. I need an ambulance right away.”

George Washington Hospital
Emergency room

“They’ve taken him inside. Tell the Admiral I’ll inform him as soon as I hear anything.” Mac finished her report to Petty Officer Coates, her eyes staring blankly at the double doors standing between her and Harm.

Heaving a deep sigh, tired of waiting, Mac strode up to the glass window. “Is there any news yet on Commander Harmon Rabb?”

“Military?” the woman asked without looking up.

Overcome with the urge to snap back- ‘No Commander was his mother’s favorite name, of course he’s military.’ Mac bit her tongue and drew on every ounce of patience she could muster.

“Yes. He was brought in over an hour ago, unconscious with a blow to the head.”

“Should have gone to Bethesda.” The woman still hadn’t given Mac the courtesy of looking up.

“Well, he’s here and I’d like to know how he is. NOW.” She was quickly losing what little patience she had left.

“You family?”

“Almost, I also hold his medical power of attorney.” Mac tried to refrain from adding any more colorful comments.

Looking up at her for the first time, the woman was obviously startled to realize she’d been talking to a female marine Lt. Colonel. “I…I’ll see what I can find out.” She stammered.

Mac stood, firmly planted in place waiting for the attendant to do just that.

Fifteen minutes later the woman returned, waving Mac to the double doors. “Go wait over there and I’ll buzz you in.”

Once inside, Mac proceeded directly to the nurse’s station. “I’m looking for Commander Harmon Rabb.”

Staring at Mac for a moment before turning to read the large white board on the wall, “Trauma room three.” The petite nurse answered, pointing down the hall to her right.

What the hell was the matter with all these people? Hadn’t they ever seen a female officer before? This was Washington for heaven’s sake. High ranking officers are everywhere. Lost in her own thoughts, she hadn’t noticed the staff huddle by the nurse’s desk.

“Did you see her? I knew they had women in the military but, damn, that woman should be on the cover of Glamour.” The petite nurse remarked.

“Who is she?” The only male nurse on the floor asked.

“She’s here with the hunky Commander that came in unconscious.” An older woman answered from her spot in front of the trauma board.

“Maggie, you’ve been married thirty years, you’re not supposed to be looking.” The receptionist teased.

“Honey, I may be getting older, but my eyes work fine.” She laughed. What’s good for the goose is certainly good for the gander, she thought.

“I didn’t notice a ring, so they’re not married.” The petite nurse mentioned, still holding out hope to get friendlier with the hunk.

“Well, if they ain’t married then they must be engaged cause when I asked if she was family, she said almost.” The receptionist volunteered.

“Damn. Good ones are always taken.” The petite nurse sighed, grabbing a clipboard and moving away from the crowd.

“I resent that.” The very single male nurse chuckled.

“And well you should.” The receptionist called, laughing her way back to her desk.

Trauma room three
George Washington Hospital

Mac walked into the large room, past the empty bed and over to the drawn curtain. Stepping quietly around she was relieved to find Harm staring at the ceiling.

“Well, I’m glad to see that hard head of yours is good for something.” Mac smiled.

Harm started to chuckle, only to be stopped immediately by the throbbing pain at the back of his head.

“Please, don’t make me laugh.” Harm squinted.

Frightened by the distressed look on his face, Mac stepped up against the bed. Rubbing her hand across his forehead, she delicately began stroking his hair. “Sorry, sailor. I wasn’t thinking.”

The young resident walked in just in time to see Mac lean down and give Harm a tender kiss on the forehead. The nurses were probably right, definitely fiancée, he thought.

“All right, Commander, I’ve arranged for you to have a room with us for the night.” Raising his hand at Harm’s obviously eminent protest. “Don’t bother arguing with me. By the time you’re back from having your head examined,” the young man chuckled at his own pun, “you’re room will probably be ready.”

Not realizing she was still stroking Harm’s hair, Mac placed her free hand on Harm’s and squeezed tightly. “You need a good night’s rest anyway.”

“We just want to make sure there’s no internal hemorrhaging or other problems. That was quite a blow you took, you were out for at least two hours according to our calculations. Besides the obvious concussion, you’ve had 28 stitches.” Looking down, the doctor scribbled some additional notes before returning the clipboard to its rightful place at the foot of the bed.

Drawing the curtain back to a fully open position, the doctor looked at Mac, “you can wait here with your fiancé if you like until they come and get him for his scan.” Smiling at the two, the doctor turned and walked out the door without ever noticing the shocked look on the two startled friends.

Watching the doctor’s retreating form turn the corner, Harm and Mac faced each other.

“Why does he think I’m your fiancé?” Harm asked, hoping the bump on his head hadn’t caused him to forget something rather important.

“I was just about to ask you the same thing.” Mac answered turning to stare at the empty doorway as if it would provide some illusive answer.

She had to admit. The thought wasn’t a bad one. She could think of worse things than being engaged to Harmon Rabb. For just a minute she let her mind wander to what it might be like to be Harm’s fiancée, the woman he wanted to marry, to have his children, to share his life, his home, his…oh, maybe this wasn’t the time or place.

Harm had let his mind wander to the same place. His cheeks flushing with embarrassment when he realized Mac was just staring at him as he allowed himself to dream of a life with her.

Neither one had noticed that Mac had not stopped stroking his hair, or holding his hand, the entire time the doctor had been with them. Even now, they were perfectly comfortable with, and oblivious to, the comforting gestures.

“If you think you’re up to it, maybe you should tell me what happened.”

“There’s not much to tell. I came into the apartment to get the file and when I reached the desk, it wasn’t directly on top where I’d left it. Before I had time to look around, I was fighting off a bright flash and a large shadow. Almost immediately I got hit on the back of the head and the next thing I know, I was waking up here with some tiny woman smiling at me.”

“You didn’t see anyone?”

“No, barely saw a shadow before I went down.”

“I didn’t really have a lot of time to look around, I didn’t notice if anything was missing.” Mac shrugged.

“I don’t think this was an ordinary break in, Mac. Why would a burglar take time to look through the files on my desk and then stack them neatly in the wrong order? I noticed one of the drawers was slightly open. I didn’t get a chance to see if anything was missing, but it’s the drawer I keep my dad’s tapes in. People who break into homes in my neighborhood aren’t noted for being very neat about it. I don’t think I was supposed to know someone had ever been there.”

“Do you think this has something to do with our friendly extortionist?” The crease in Mac’s brow deepened.

“Could be. When I get home tomorrow, I’ll check out if anything’s missing. Then we’ll arrange for another sweep of the apartment.” Harm closed his eyes, fighting the urge to go to sleep.

“Sorry to break this up folks, but we’ve got an appointment upstairs.” A young orderly with a wheel chair smiled.

Forced to let go of his hand in order to step away, Mac realized for the first time, she must have been holding it the entire time. Giving one last sweep through his hair, she backed away from the bed letting the orderly help Harm up.

Feeling a cold chill at the physical loss of Mac’s touch, Harm’s eyes locked onto Mac’s for just a moment. No wonder the doctor had thought there was more between them. What he wouldn’t give for it to be true.

Admiral Chegwidden’s office
Two days later

“This is unacceptable people.” Chegwidden huffed, tossing a file on his desk.

Bud, Harm, and Mac were still standing at ease in front of the Admiral’s desk.

“What exactly did this email say, Colonel?”

“Good thing lover boy has a hard head. And of course, those new photos were attached.” Pointing at the file the Admiral had tossed on his desk, Mac straightened her shoulders trying not to let her CO see how much the email had shaken her.

AJ paused to consider the new photos. How did someone manage to get a clear shot of Harm and Mac at the ER without anyone noticing something strange? Although, from the looks of the photos, a pink elephant could have entered that trauma room and his two senior officers wouldn’t have noticed anything but each other. Mac’s concern for Harm was clear, there was no acting involved. That’s part of what made this whole thing so damn annoying, they really were perfect for this assignment, and each other.

“Lt. Roberts, what did the new sweep of the apartments turn up? Any fingerprints?” AJ turned to face Bud, his lips pressed together tightly.

“Nothing, sir, on both counts. Not a single print anywhere, not even on the lamp. If the intention was to bug the apartment in some way, they might have changed their minds when the Commander walked in on them.”

“They could have just been searching for incriminating evidence.” Harm offered.

“Or they could have been waiting to teach you a lesson. This is simply getting too dangerous. If I could think of some way to get you out of this, I’d pull the plug on the entire operation.” AJ sat down rubbing his temples. Waving his hand, “sit down.” He sighed, irritated his instincts were panning out. This was obviously more than a simple blackmail ring, but what?

The three officers took a seat in front of the obviously stressed admiral.

“That really isn’t necessary, sir. Harm and I understand the lengths these people are willing to go to. We won’t be caught off guard again, sir.” Deep down, Mac didn’t want this little charade to end. She was finally comfortable in the role and had grown quite fond of it. She just wished she could shake the creepy feeling she got from knowing their every move was obviously being followed. Anytime old fears of Coster and being stalked tried to emerge, Harm was right there to squelch them and keep her strong. Knowing Harm was at her side was keeping her emotionally sane. The perks weren’t bad either.

“I agree sir, the Colonel and I can see this through.” Harm apparently felt the same way. Since his affection for Mac was anything but acting, he was enjoying the liberty of being able to touch and care for her that this assignment allowed.

“Are we making any progress at all?” AJ asked, obviously frustrated.

“Well, sir. Certain possibilities are starting to come together. I think I may have located another early retiree that fits the bill for a victim.” Bud reported.

“Okay, what have you got?” AJ leaned back in his chair hoping for something solid.

“Well, sir, one of the men on the list, a Colonel Thomas Jefferson Edelhaus with the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit, returned from Iraq six months ago. He’s been an exemplary officer, on the list for possible candidates for Military Liaison to Homeland Security. He’s only thirty eight sir.”

“And he’s a full bird?” AJ interrupted.

“Yes, sir. Battle field promotions, with enough fruit salad to give you or the Commander a run for your money.” Bud smiled before realizing to whom he was speaking. “Sorry, sir.”

“What makes him any different than the rest?” Mac spoke up before the Admiral could say anything.

“Besides his young age, I also spoke with his wife. Apparently she’s had a difficult time being a military wife. She couldn’t stand the worrying and waiting. Shortly before he deployed to Iraq, they separated. She made it quite clear the only reason she was leaving him was because of the corps. Somewhere along the line she managed to communicate that it didn’t matter, she still loved him, not being together didn’t lessen her fears. She had thought his reason for retiring was to win her back, but she hasn’t seen or heard from him since he told her he was retiring. She says he came back a changed man, sir. Not in the good sense either. She’s worried about him.” Bud sat ramrod straight under the Admiral’s scrutiny.

Nodding his head in agreement. “You may very well be onto something Lieutenant. Keep at it. Maybe this Colonel can tell us something we don’t already know.” AJ sighed.

“There’s more, sir.” Bud interrupted.

“Well, what are you waiting for?” AJ was in a foul mood and not trying to hide it.

“I did a little further digging on Robert Hatcher, the man we suspect took the photos of the Commander and Colonel in her apartment. He works for a company called New Horizons. It’s a Paul Healy company.”

“The dotcom guy?” Harm queried.

“Yes, Mr. Hatcher is only listed as a consultant but the curious thing is, I can’t find what New Horizons does. Paul Healy made all his money selling his company, internetmusic.com, before the bubble burst. I’ve got a physical address and list of company officers, but can’t find any business connections to imply what they’re actually doing.” Bud said obviously frustrated.

Sighing heavily, “It sounds like we’re going to have to bring Novak into this.” Harm told Bud.

“Agreed.” AJ nodded. “I don’t like this, the more people involved, the more likely we are of springing a leak. Lieutenant, give Agent Novak as little information as necessary. Maybe we can get what we need without letting him in on our little farce. See what else you can find on this Paul Healy too.” AJ reached into his desk drawer pulling out a large bottle of aspirin.

“Is this Hatcher person still living across from the Colonel?”

“Yes, sir. We don’t have enough probable cause to issue a search warrant. He hasn’t made any attempt to move, so he must not realize we’re onto him.” Bud supplied.

“Or he doesn’t care.” AJ growled, swallowing three aspirins. “Who’s keeping an eye on him?”

“No one, sir.” Harm answered this time in an attempt to take some of the heat off of Bud.

AJ dropped his jaw, his eyes filled with incredulity.

“What do you mean no one? The only probable connection to all this and he’s not being watched! I don’t care who you get on this but I want that man followed. Understood!”

“Yes, sir.” The three responded loudly.

“I’m sure Novak will be able to put someone on it, sir.” Harm added.

“Make it so, people.” AJ shook his head. “Dismissed. And be careful!”

Mac’s apartment
Later that night

Mac sat comfortably on the sofa drinking a cup of coffee. The drapes in the bedroom and living room were drawn closed. Harm had taken the liberty of hanging an extra lining to keep out the light much like those used in hotels. In this case it wasn’t the light they wanted to keep out as much as prying eyes.

“You okay?” Harm asked from the chair.

“It just feels like this has been the longest six weeks of my life.” Mac half grinned, stretching her neck from side to side, delighted with the hot cup of coffee.

“Here, scoot over.” Harm waved his arm, walking over to sit behind her on the couch. Slowly he began massaging her shoulders, paying extra attention to the knots at the base of her neck.

“Oh, you don’t know how much I needed that.” Mac smiled, her head dropping loosely. “I’d forgotten what great hands you have.”

Harm smiled at the compliment, making a conscious effort not to let his mind wander off on all he’d like to do to her with his hands.

“I guess this has been pretty rough on you.” Harm’s smile faded.

“It’s not that bad, it’s just there’s no point. I’m not pregnant.” Mac turned her head slightly in an attempt to peek at Harm through her peripheral vision. “I wouldn’t mind people bringing me tea, offering me their chairs, or even carrying my briefcase if I had a good reason. The other day I thought Petty Officer O’Reilly was going to kill himself trying to get to a box of files before I did. It just doesn’t seem right.”

“All I get is an occasional dirty look. I think scuttlebutt is leaning towards I don’t want to do right by you.” Harm dropped his voice in an attempt at humor.

“That’s ridiculous. You’ll be an excellent father. You’d never ignore your own child.” Mac let out a low groan as

Harm worked out a particularly tight knot.

“Is that too hard?” He paused. Besides concern he was being too rough, the sound of her moan had sent an unexpected surge of excitement through him. Swallowing hard, he forced himself to refocus on the situation at hand.

“No, it’s a good sore.” She smiled.

“It doesn’t appear to be linked to my not wanting the baby, I think the word is I won’t marry you.” Harm wondered how anyone could know him as many years as most of these people did and still think he wouldn’t want to be with Sarah MacKenzie for all eternity.

“I haven’t heard that.” Mac pulled away far enough to turn and look at him.

“Jennifer told me last week. Harriet confirmed it yesterday. I guess you don’t spend enough time eaves dropping in the ladies room.” Harm smiled, reaching over to pull her back and continue her shoulder rub. The intention may have been to relieve her stress but the feel of her soft shoulders under his fingertips was doing wonders for his stress level too.

Instead of falling back at his touch, Mac turned completely, resting her hand on his lap. Before she could say anything, Harm spoke.

“You can’t blame them, Mac. It’s been six weeks since we started this charade. The choices are either you don’t want to marry me or I don’t want to marry you. Since neither one of us is even admitting you’re pregnant, people find it easier to assume I’m the cad.” He rolled his eyes with a half shrug and tried to pull her around to rub her shoulders again.

“I’m sorry.” She said. “I know that must bother you to have people think anything less than honorably of you.”

“I don’t really care what people think of me. I’m more concerned with how it reflects on you. How could anyone think I wouldn’t want you.” Harm paled suddenly at the realization of what he’d just admitted.

Mac stared intently into Harm’s clear gaze, searching for some indication of just how seriously to interpret his last comment. There had always been an underlying something between them; neither of them could deny that. Could it be Harm was finally ready to let go? She sighed inwardly, terrified of saying or doing the wrong thing.

“That may very well be the nicest thing anyone’s ever said to me.” She smiled softly, passing her hand slowly across his face.

Right now the last thing Harm wanted to do was say the wrong thing and piss off his marine. He wanted desperately to just tell her how much he loved her, how he wished she really were carrying his child.

“It shouldn’t be such a surprise. I mean, I like taking care of you. I especially like the idea of taking care of you and our child.” Harm stared into Mac’s eyes hoping he hadn’t said too much.

“Sometimes, when I remember this is all just an act,” Mac paused to take a deep breath, “I wish I really were carrying your child.”

“We did have a deal.” Harm whispered. Their eyes locked on each other, neither blinking.

“We do.” Mac corrected softly, the intensity of their gaze growing exponentially.

Unable to contain the swell of emotions bottled up inside him, Harm leaned forward ever so slowly and captured her lips in his.

Harm had caught her completely off guard. She hadn’t been expecting him to kiss her. Of course, she hadn’t expected him to admit that he might actually want her either. At the feel of his moist lips against hers, she snaked her arms tightly around his neck. Their lips lightly tasting and caressing each other.

Fully prepared to deepen the sweet kiss, Harm and Mac were startled apart by the ringing of the phone.

“Colonel MacKenzie.” Mac answered.

“Commander Rabb, please.”

“It’s for you.” Mac handed the phone over to Harm.

“Rabb.”

“You know, you really should be more careful. That’s how you two got into this predicament in the first place.” The muffled voice announced smugly.

Harm pulled away from Mac, scanning the windows, then the rest of the walls. “Don’t you have anything better to do?” Harm barked into the phone.

The hairs on the back of Mac’s neck were on full alert at the tone of his voice.

“Now, now, Commander. You wouldn’t want to upset me would you? What would the Admiral think of his two best senior officer’s playing house?”

Harm cursed himself for not having allowed Bud to get Novak involved earlier, they could have had a trace on this line and been tracking the man down already.

“What do you want?” Harm asked curtly.

“Not much. Fifteen thousand dollars, in small unmarked bills of course.” The voice laughed heartily on the other end.

Before Harm could respond.

“You’ll have three days to get the money together… or else.” Then the phone went dead.

Mac’s apartment
Same time

Mac stared at Harm waiting for him to say something. She had a pretty good idea who the call had been from.

“Damn.” Harm let slip under his breath.

“What?”

“Either that is one very lucky bastard, or he’s still watching us.”

“Why?” Mac didn’t mean to be monosyllabic.

Taking a deep breath, “he knew we were kissing.”

“How?” Irritated by her own one word responses, “I mean, how could he know?”

“I don’t know. He just said this is what got us into trouble in the first place.” Harm ran his fingers through his hair in frustration.

Stopping to really look at Mac, Harm recognized the frozen look in her eyes. It was the same look she’d had so many years ago. Taking two short strides to where she was standing, Harm reached out, pulling her into his arms.

“Oh, Mac. I’m so sorry.” He whispered into her hair. “Maybe you should come stay with me for a little while. For whatever reason, they don’t seem to be watching my place.”

Drawing her strength from his tight embrace. “No, I wouldn’t let Coster chase me away from my home, I won’t let this creep chase me away either.” She may have sounded tough, but she wasn’t ready to let go of him. She was still hanging on tightly, her face buried in his shirt, the scent of his cologne a comforting tranquilizer.

“Maybe I should stay?” He didn’t want to let her go, but he most definitely didn’t want to leave her alone.

“No, this isn’t the same thing. It’s not you or me this guy wants. He’s after something else and we just have to put up with him until we figure out what.” Reassured by her own words and Harm’s concern, she found the strength to pull away.

“What do you think of this. I’ll give Bud a quick call while you put on another pot of coffee. I want to make sure that Novak puts a tap on all our phones so we’re ready for the next time this bozo calls. Then, we’ll sit back down and watch a movie, and this weekend you and I will go have some fun at the County Fair?” Harm was grinning at her like a little kid. She might not let him stay the night, but he was going to stay with her as long as she allowed.

“I think we could use a fun filled afternoon.” Mac agreed enthusiastically. They’d had such a nice day the last time they’d gotten away from the job for a day.

JAG Headquarters
Mac’s office
Two days later

Mac had been working on her closing arguments for Lt. Commander Simpson’s case for the last two hours. With the ransom drop looming over them, she was having a horrible time concentrating. This was the fourth draft she’d crumpled and tossed in the wastebasket across the room.

“Not bad.” A familiar voice sounded from the doorway. “Didn’t realize basketball might be another one of your many talents.”

“I didn’t hear you come in.” Mac sighed.

“I gathered as much. I hear things around here are keeping you pretty busy.”

“Yes, and I’m up against a deadline for this damn closing argument that just won’t come together. Is there something in particular I can do for you?” Mac knew she was being unfairly curt, but she just didn’t have the patience today.

“I was hoping you might be free for dinner tonight.”

“Clay, do I really look like someone who is going to have free time for dinner tonight?” She stared at him pointedly, waving her hands over the mounds of paper on her desk. “I’ve got a lot of work, that isn’t getting done and I’m not going anywhere until it does.”

A look of sincere concern washed over his face as he stepped closer to her desk.

“You really shouldn’t be working this hard, Mac. It’s not healthy for you. Besides, you have to eat at some point. Let me take you for a quick bite.” Clay’s voice was low and almost pleading.

“I can’t. You know me, I never skip a meal, I’ll order something in.” Mac smiled, a little touched by his concern.

“I could bring you something, what would you like? Italian?”

“Clay…” She really wasn’t up to dealing with him on top of everything else.

“Just friends, Sarah. You have to eat.” He’d heard the rumors like everyone else and didn’t want her running herself down.

“I promise, I’ll eat. Since when are you so concerned about my eating habits anyway?” Mac asked, suddenly curious.

“There’s nothing unusual about my interest in you, you know that.” His eyes locked onto hers, not missing the way his words made her shift uncomfortably in her chair.

“Well, yes, but surely you didn’t come all this way to make sure I’d be eating dinner?”

“No, I have a file I wanted to give Rabb. I thought I’d see if maybe you had changed your mind about us.”

“CLAY…”

“I know, but you can’t blame a guy for trying.” He forced a smile. “You keep working on that argument. If you change you’re mind, you know where to find me.” Clay nodded and turned towards Harm’s office.

Harm’s office
Same time

Looking up from his desk. “Good God, what are you doing here?” Harm grumbled. He didn’t need this. It was already a long two days and he most definitely did not need Clayton Webb.

“Well, it’s nice to see you too, Rabb.” Clay shook his head. “I thought you might want to see this.” He tossed the file he’d been carrying onto Harm’s desk.

“What’s this?” Harm took the file and began browsing through the pages.

“Admiral Walter Kensington, the Executive Director of Naval Intelligence, committed suicide last night. No note.”

“What does this have to do with me?” Harm was still glancing through the file.

“We’ve had our eye on him for several months. We had it from reliable sources that he has been selling secrets, valuable secrets, to some not very nice people. When his body was found slumped over his desk this morning, his file found it’s way to me.”

Harm was still waiting for Clay to get to the point.

“Look at his bank statements.” Clay raised his chin at the file in Harm’s hands. “Notice anything unusual for a spy?”

“There are no large unexplained deposits.” Harm looked up at Clay his interest suddenly peaked. “Did he have another account?”

“No.” Clay set his hands on Harm’s desk waiting for him to spot the obvious.

“He’s had regular large sum withdrawals, ten or fifteen thousand dollars, every month for almost eight months.” Harm let out a slow, long whistle.

“I think he might be part of your blackmail problem from a couple of months ago.” Clay straightened up, a slight smirk on his face. “Oh, and I understand congratulations are in order.”

“For what?” Harm dragged his eyes away from the file, surprised to see an obvious glare of disdain directed at him.

“You arrogant, …” Clay pressed his lips taking in a deep breath. “Just remember, if you don’t want her there are some of us who are more than willing to step up to the plate and take care of her.”

“Don’t believe everything you hear, Webb.” Harm said sharply, trying not to lose his cool at the implied threat.

Turning towards the door, Clay stopped to look back at Harm.

“Just remember, I’ll be here waiting when she needs me.” With one last icy stare, Clay turned away making his way through the bullpen.

Mac’s office
A short time later

“The nerve of that arrogant little twerp.” Harm spat as he paced the floor.

With scuttlebutt already being more than she could take, Mac stood up and closed the blinds to her office. She didn’t need to have people’s imagination running wild as to why Harm was ranting in her office right after Clayton had left.

“Insinuating I would just knock you up and then walk away.” Harm was seeing red.

Mac smiled to herself. She hadn’t realized Clayton knew, or thought he knew she was pregnant when he invited her to dinner and asked for another chance. The entire situation seemed pleasantly noble to her. She wouldn’t admit it to Harm, but it was almost as flattering as his current reaction. They were both pretty noble men.

Noticing his pace slowing, she made an attempt at changing the subject. “Is everything set for tomorrow.”

Freezing in place, Harm looked up at her as though she’d spoken to him in Farsi.

“What?” His brow furrowed into a human question mark.

“The drop tomorrow. Is everything ready?” How could he forget? Heaven help her, nothing like two bulls on testosterone overload.

“Oh, yes. I picked up the money from the Sec Nav myself this morning. It’s in the Admiral’s safe until we need it tomorrow. I also stopped and picked up a black Samsonite hardcover briefcase as per the instructions.” Harm had hoped that having the phones tapped would have allowed them to find the guy without going through with the ransom. Unfortunately, he sent the instructions for the drop by mail. No fingerprints of course.

“What about Novak, are his men going to be in place?”

“Everything is set. Bud and I have reservations at the Red Coach Grill. I’ll check the briefcase in with the coat check and then after lunch, Bud and I will join Novak’s men for surveillance.”

“What about inside?” Mac knew that Harm would be sure to have every detail covered but she couldn’t think of any other way besides talking about the drop to keep him from harping on Webb, well, at least not anything she could do in uniform.

“Novak’s placed two people as busboys to work the lunch and dinner shift. They’ll keep an eye on the coat room after we leave.” Harm had stopped pacing and was standing only a few inches away from Mac.

“I’m sorry I lost my temper. I shouldn’t let Webb get to me. It’s just with all the scuttlebutt and the drop tomorrow, I didn’t need him in my face.” Harm felt it was better not to mention how he hated the thought of Webb having become a rival for Mac’s affections.

Red Coach Grill
Next afternoon

“I don’t suppose the Sec Nav is picking up the tab for this as well.” Bud mumbled. Standing just inside the doorway, he waited patiently for Harm to check in the briefcase.

“I understand those kids make really good tips.” Bud mentioned on their way to be seated.

“I wouldn’t know.” Harm tried to scan the crowd inconspicuously.

“When I was in high school I had a friend who worked a coat check on Sunday afternoons. She cleaned up. They got to keep the tips, and unlike the waitresses, they don’t have to share with anyone.”

“She?” Harm teased.

“Yes, sir. I mean, nothing special. Not that she wasn’t special, she was a really good friend, she just wasn’t…”

“I know, Bud. It’s okay.” Harm smiled, nodding his head at his younger colleague. It was still so easy to fluster Bud when it came to certain subjects and the opposite sex was always an easy mark.

“Do you recognize anyone, sir?” Bud asked, placing his napkin on his lap.

“No, I didn’t get to meet any of Novak’s men.” Harm looked around the restaurant over the top of his menu. His eyes returning constantly to the coat check.

“We might as well try and enjoy ourselves, Bud. There isn’t much we can do until we hear from Novak.”

Harm kept a discreet eye on the coat room while he and Bud dragged their lunch out as long as humanly possible.

“You never did tell me, sir, is the Sec Nav picking up the tab for this?”

“I’m expensing it out as I would with any JAG man investigation.” Harm shrugged, still keeping one eye on the coat room.

“Well, in that case. I think I’ll have another piece of pie.” Bud smiled heartily at Harm. “Hollow leg you know.”

Harm chuckled at his friend’s sense of humor. Bud had proven himself to be an officer and a gentleman of the highest caliber, truly tested under fire.

By 1430, Harm and Bud had made their way to Novak’s van. The Red Coach Grill was an elegant old restaurant nestled along the River. Adding to its charm was the large park directly across the street. Novak’s van was hidden among the many vehicles parked on the opposite side of the park.

Harm, Bud, Novak and Agent Weston kept their eyes focused on the large oak double doors. At 1500, most of the staff turned over. The lunch crew had gone home and one by one the dinner staff had arrived. Briefly they watched the young man from the coat check room stop at the park for a quick round of basketball.

When school let out at 1530, you would have thought every child in the neighborhood stopped to play at the park. There were moms with strollers scattered along the benches letting their older children run off whatever excess energy they might have left. A few joggers meandered through the small park as well as residents who walked or played fetch with their dogs.

At 1625 the calm was broken with a piercing scream. A single woman and her golden retriever were standing on the opposite corner of the park by a large oak tree. The woman had her hands up to her mouth and was screaming bloody murder. The dog was turning his head back and forth sniffing between his master and the tree.

Immediately, everyone except Agent Weston flew from the van to join the growing crowd around the frantic woman. Reaching the scene first, Harm closed his eyes in frustration. The young man who had worked the coat check room lay twisted on the ground. His neck obviously snapped.

Taking his radio out of his back pocket. “Ramirez, this is base, has anyone taken the present?” Novak inquired.

“No, we’re still waiting for the birthday boy.” The voice echoed back.

“Check the package. Make sure no one has changed the wrapping paper.” Novak ordered.

A few minutes later the voice sounded back through the plastic communicator. “Empty.”

“Damn.” Novak spit. “He’s got it.”




Continue to Part 4

Return to CLK's Fanfiction

© once upon a rose garden 2003
Disclaimer: JAG and its characters are the property of Paramount Pictures, Viacom, CBS, Belisarius Productions, and Donald P. Bellisario. This site is not intended to violate any copyrights they have and is not intended for profit in any way, shape or form. It is meant to be a respectful tribute to the show and its characters and actors.
Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1