Intro to Linux
Urban Voice -- Instructor: Lenny Bailes
Day 7 Agenda
1. Take Quiz #2
2. �Check/discuss hardware inventory lists for home computers.
� � �How can you track down information for specific hardware:
� � �laptops, network cards, printers, scanners, sound cards, USB, modems, etc?
3. �Discuss Linux class projects (See Week 6 Agenda.)
4. �Linux Practical Application Exercises
- Make Linux floppy bootdisk. (See http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/bootdsk.html)
a) ls /lib/modules to determine kernel version
b) enter command type: mkbootdisk --device /dev/fd0 x.x.x-x
(replace the x.x.x-x with the kernel info you got from step a) options
- Set up network printer (See also, Printing with Foomatic (http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic.html) in the section under using CUPS.
- Restart services (such as network service or Apache from command-line.
5. �Resolve classroom partition issues
� � We will use Linux Fdisk to modify the partition configuration information for the computers
� � that have only three partitions currently configured. �Then we'll create a FAT16 partition on
� � these machines so that they can share data with Windows XP.
� � (See Jang, p. 238-240)