Free translation sites for Italian, Latin, Genealogy and Medical Glossaries, Ecclesiastical Abbreviations and old Italian Occupations and their modern English Equivalents to help you in your genealogical quest.
All off-site links open to a new window. Italian Genealogy Online is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Italian, Latin and Medical Word Lists for Genealogical Research
- Gaetano Online Italian Occupations and English Equivalents - by Thomas G. Buccigross (2000) from the Wayback Machine.
- Libby's Handy Italian Records Translation Guide - numbers, months and some basic terms found on Italian documents and records.
- Italian Abbreviations - very useful list.
- Italian to English family history glossary - To help with Family History Documents
- Italian Genealogy Word List - compiled by Latter Day Saints Family History Center.
- Italian Occupations - alphabetical list of Italian occupations and their equivalent English terms.
- Italian Occupations List - maintained by Chris and Lou.
- Italian Occupations with English Translation - provided by gencampania with some old or dialect words.
- Italian Occupations - from the Calitri Homepage.
- L D S : Italian Records Extraction Guide - PDF-s from Brigham Young University Family History Website with Civil Birth Records, Parish Christening Records, Civil Marriage Records, Italian Handwriting, Numbers and Times, Glossary of Professions and more help for your Italian Family-Tree research from BYU.
- D I Z I O N A R I O - Italiano ed Inglese by Ferdinando Altieri printed in London MDCCXXVI - the WayBack Machine has various copies of this very good old Italian to English dictionary
- How to Read an Italian Military Record - from La Regia Marina
- Safety and Occupational Glossary - Versione Inglese - Italiano; Italiano - Inglese
- Genealogical Dictionary - Glossary of Genealogical Terms and Abbreviations.
- Genealogy & Archaic Terms Dictionary - contains many of the common "buzzwords", terminology and legal words found in genealogy work.
- Genealogy Dictionary - "Every man is a quotation from his ancestors" compiled by Dorothy Stanley.
- Passenger List Annotations - do you want to know what all those signs and symbols on the Passenger Manifests mean? :: read this information by the Immigration and Naturalization Service.
- Guide to Interpreting Passenger List Annotations - by Marian L. Smith Historian, U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service and other helpers on Jewish.gen
- Glossary of Latin Words - Found in Records and Other English Manuscripts, But Not Occurring in Classical Authors.
- Latin-English Translation of Genealogical Terms - good list by Genealogy Quest
- Latin in Parish Records by Alison U. Ring, Ladysmith, B.C., Canada
- Church Record Translations - Internet Archive is in English, Latin, Hungarian and Slovak.
- Latin Primer for genealogical Terms - List of common Latin number, phrases and words found in genealogy records
- Ecclesiastical Abbreviations - A list of many of the Latin Abbreviations which you might find on some of your ancestor records especially Parish Records. Scroll down to the bottom of their Text in order to view Abbreviations
- Latin in Parish Records by Alison U. Ring, Ladysmith, B.C., Canada
- English *to* Latin ONLY - English *to* Latin ONLY. (Notre Dame Catholic Archives)
- Treasury of Latin Prayers - Thesaurus Precum Latinarum
- Latin Genealogy Word List - Classic EASY to view reference from the Mormons (Church of Latter Day Saints).
- 27,000 Latin Words - Notre Dame Archives : Latin Aid from William Whitaker's Words.
- Latin Dictionary and Grammar Aid - University of Notre Dame Archives.
- Latin-English/English-Latin Dictionary - interactive Java version. If your computer doesn't have Java enabled scroll down to their HyperText version
- Latin-English Translation of Genealogy Words - from an old Newsgroup 2000 posting now archived on Rootsweb.
- Heraldic Translator - when choosing the language into which you want the translation choose ALL (makes it easier) Click on their other links too.
- Medical Terms: Italian - commissioned by The EuropeanCommission and executed by Heymans Institute of Pharmacology and Mercator School, Department of applied Linguistics.
- Italian-English Glossary Rudy's List of Archaic Medical Terms - of Causes of Death and other Archaic Medical Terms
- Italian - Dizionario Della Salute - health, medicine and anatomy of the human body
- Italian Glossary of Medical Terms - Glossario di termini medici a cura dell’isit
- Italian: Medical SmartPhrase: Medical Phrases; Parts of the Body; Illnesses etc.; Symptoms; Treatments; Medical People & Places
- Italian Vocabolario Medico - Il dizionario dei termini medici in Internet. Easily translates Italian Medical words into English and visa versa.
- Diseases in the Olden Days - most damaging, horrific diseases that plagued people in the olden days are now thankfully eradicated. Many are still around today, however simple medicines can help cure
- Rudy's List of Archaic Medical Terms - A Glossary of Archaic Medical Terms, Diseases and Causes of Death. The Genealogist's Resource for Interpreting Causes of Death.
- Wayback Machine access to Old Medical Terms for Genealogists - Archaic Medical Terms compiled by Paul Smith includes some slang words & some modern terms.
- More Medical & Medicine Links at Cindi's List
- Old Disease Names and Their Modern Definitions - Useful tool to understanding those out of date medical terms used on your ancestors death certificates.
- Old Medical Terms and Diseases - from Genealogy Quest
*IMPORTANT* - Computer translated text should only be used as an indication of the meaning of the original text
- Click here to go to Dialects of Italy - on another page.
- BING TRANSLATOR - Enter text or webpage URL. I was surprised at the fast speed in translating an entire website. This used to be Babelfish and I guess that Microsoft took over.
- Dictionary.com Translator -Translate English, Spanish, French, German, Chinese, Portuguese, Italian, or 50 other languages for FREE!
- Dictionary of Online English to Italian to English - gives variations in spelling and you can sometimes find a word if you only have part of the spelling.
- Enchanted Learning - English-Italian Picture Dictionary.
- Free Translation - EASY to use site for rapid translations to get the "gist" of text & WebPages.
- GOOGLE TRANSLATE - Search Specific Languages or Countries.
- Internet Picture Dictionary: ITALIAN
- Italian irregular verbs / Verbi irregolari - list of the most common Italian irregular verbs (in English)
- Italian picture dictionary - from Dicts.info - Free dictionaries project
- Italian Verbs: conjugate Italian regular verbs and Italian irregular verbs. by Enrico Olivetti
- Italian Verbs - translated and conjugated by Virgilio of Italy. (in Italian)
- Italian Verb List -List of the most common regular and irregular Italian verbs by IdiomaX
- LOGOS Dictionary - interesting concept of translating a word into various languages at once.
- Systran, links and words translations - Translate text or an entire link via translation software or online translator. No red tape to use.
- Traduzioni Gratis, traduttore gratuito Inglese, italiano - Italian to English translation site from Italy.
- Ultralingua Free Dictionary - Translation, Definition, and Grammar in 8 Different Languages.
- WordReference - English-Italian Dictionary
- World Lingo - computer translations of text and Web Sites.
- InterActive Terminology for Europe (IATE) - The European Terminology Database of the European Union. Type in your search term, use the pull down arrow to indicate the source language and check your target language of interest.
^Return to Top ^
links open to a new window, otherwise use your browser back button to return to this page... Italian Genealogy Online is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
Italian Form Letters
Italy Genealogy Family Tree Help
Genealogy Record Keeping
Italy Roots Message Board
For future reference
Genealogy Online and all things Italian
get out of "Frames" right click on one of the links above and
choose "Open in New Window"
or copy a link above and paste onto a new browser window.
you paid to be linked here, please complain to the site that linked
you here as this is a totally free genealogy site for all to use and
The author of this site provides these links as a matter of convenience and does
not necessarily endorse what you may find there nor the accuracy of the
information contained therein.
This website is best viewed with a 800 X 600 screen resolution
Last Revision: 01 April 2017
This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated.
Thank you for your consideration and have fun with your family-tree research!
Copyright © 1999 - 2017 by
ITALIAN GENEALOGY ONLINE
F R E E - Website Hosting Provided by:
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *