Helpful Italian Genealogy Research Information
Genealogy Online Italy Help "Tools"
All off-site links open to a new window. Italian Genealogy Online
is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Italian Genealogy Records / Italian Family Tree Research
Archivio di Stato di
. . . Agrigento, Arezzo, Ascoli Piceno, Asti, Bari, Benevento, Bergamo, Brescia, Caltanissetta, Campobasso, Catanzaro, Chieti, Como, Cremona, Cuneo, Enna, Firenze, Forlž, Genova, Grosseto, Imperia, Imperia-sezione di Ventimiglia, Imperia-sezione San Remo, L'Aquila, La Spezia, Lucca, Macerata, Mantova, Messina, Modena, Napoli, Padova, Pesaro, Pesaro-Sezione di Fano, Pesaro-sezione di Urbino, Pescara, Potenza, Prato, Ragusa, Reggio Calabria, Rieti, Roma, Salerno, Savona, Taranto, Torino, Trapani, Treviso, Udine, Venezia, Viterbo.
- How to Do Your Own Italian Genealogy Research- Basic self-help guide, on this site, on how to find your Italian Ancestors' Records and how to request Documents from the Historical Archives in Italy and the USA. (on site here at Italian Genealogy Online)
- Finding Place of Origin of Italian Immigrant - important step in doing your initial research is to find out exactly in where in Italy your ancestors were born. (on site)
- ITALIAN Genealogical Records: Steve Saviello's Tips - What Records Exist, Where to Find Them and How to Research by Mail, and more Genealogy Research Information for Italy. (on site)
- Italian Church Records - main historical changes of parish documents over time by Giorgio Alessandri. (on site)
- Steve Saviello presents FAQ's on Italy: what is an Italian comune, an Italian Province and an Italian Region? (on site)
- How to obtain birth, death, and marriage certificates in Italy - Information prepared by the Office of Citizens Services at the U.S. Embassy in Rome, Italy as an aid for persons in need of vital records from Italian authorities.
- Italian Marriage Records - by Cav. Anthony "Tony" Lascio
- Italian military Records - brief overview of Conscription Records from PIE/FAQs.
- Esercito Italiano: Operational Land Force- Official Italian Military Site
- Esercito Italiano: Centri Documentali - Italian Military Record Archives. Please note that many of the older Italian Military Records are also available (and easier to obtain) from an Archivio di Stato (plural: Archivi di Stati)
Italian Provincial Archives.[pn]
- Certificato Di Stato Di Familia - is an invaluable source of Italian Genealogy Information although they are difficult to obtain these days. See what one looks like on this Italian Research page.
- Italian Resources for Jewish Genealogy - A Guide to the Main Resources on Italian Jewish Genealogy
- Family Search Catalog - Search the catalog of genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) made available by the Mormons.
- ITALY Historical Record Collections - Browse images of historical documents from Italian Archives made available by FamilySearch (LDS) Latter Day Saints - the Mormons. View them on your own computer. You no longer have to rely on transcriptions of documents (often frustrating and incorrect) or wondering if you will ever have time to view the films at your local Family History Center. GO FOR IT NOW --ONLINE!!!... wow great!!! and FREE.
- ITALIAN ARCHIVES ITALY (Archivi di Stati) - The Italian Archives in Italy are now uploading records of the older Italian Birth, Marriage and Death documents Online for you to
freely browse. EASY to LOOK through the Digital Images of the State Civil Records of State in the Italian Provincial Archives for FREE. The following Italian Archives of State (Archivi di Stati) have Historical Document IMAGES Online:
^ Return to Top ^ | HOME
ITALIAN FORM LETTERS
- for requesting records from Italy
- David's Form Letters you can send to Italy - Easy to follow form letters in Italian & English from David E. Zerga with examples and good advice on requesting Vital Documents, writing to the Bishop, the Parish Priest, potential relatives, plus lots of GOOD TIPS on obtaining Church Addresses, the names of Military Records and more... (on site)
- Italian Form Letters to send to Italy for Genealogical Data - based on an old FHC Handout but updated and includes easy to understand examples of letters to the Italian Municipality Registry Office, Vital Records Dept., Parish Priest to help you write your own request for records letter to Italy.(on site)
- Steve's Italian Form Letter to Potential Relative - handy tips for genealogy research in Italy by Steve Saviello.(on site)
- LDS Family History ITALIAN Letter-Writing Guide - Easy to view archive with plenty of terrific advice courtesy of the Family History Center of the Church of Latter Day Saints (LDS) includes sample letters and Italian Genealogy Request Highlights
- P D F - Download -PDF : http://familyresearchlibrary.com/pubs/36338_ItalianLWG04.pdf - TIP, piece phrases together to create your own personal Italian Records Requests--[editor:pn]
- Italian Form Letter Generator - by Bill Girimonti. Easy to use Interactive Form Letters to request civil vital records, Family Certificates, Letters to the Town Mayor, Letter to request permission to personally consult civil vital records and more. Includes address lookups for Zip Codes and Province Abbreviations.
- Request Letter for Information
& Thank You Letter to a mayor By Giulio C. Salemme (a former genealogy research born and living in Italy)
- More Form letters in Italian from Family Tree Maker's Genealogy Site.
- Translation Help-Aids (on site) - for Italian, Latin, Italian Occupations, Genealogy Words & more. *IF* you try to use computer machine translations for letters to Italy use in conjunction with large Italian/English dictionaries & grammar book/s. Only SHORT phrases or it will sound silly. TIP, recheck back and forth English to Italian, Italian to English short phrases only for spelling help etc--[pn]
^ Return to Top ^ | HOME
Italian Comune + People Search for address, phone numbers in Italy
- WHEN you get ready to send a letter or
request for Italian Genealogy Records to a potential relative or a Comune in Italy
(letters on site) use the following lookups to find the Postal Codes and more .
- Find a postal code in Italy - Type in the name of the town.
- Cerca CAP Italia, Codici di Avviamento Postale, nonsoloCAP.it - find the Cap and Province codes to use on your letters to Italy
- Cap e Prefissi - Hot Web Guide - research Comune, Postal Zip and Prefix codes.
- CAP e Prefissi Telefonici - E A S Y Italian Postal Code lookup by first letter.
- List of postal codes in Italy -
English Wikipedia brief overview of Italian postal codes and a short list of towns (comuni) which have only one CAP postal code..
- Directory of Cities, Towns, and Regions in Italy - by Falling Rain Genomics, Inc.
- Italian Post Office Official Site - find postal "zip" codes (CAP in Italian) at *Poste Italiane* (In Italian) Use the Translation links in 'our'
translation section if you need help with words,
- Ricerca CAP da localitŗ
[Pagine Bianche] - Search for the municipality cap "zip" code, will also show hamlets (Frazioni)
- Comuni-Italiani.it - Information & statistics on Italian Regions, Provinces & Municipalities. All Cities, Towns and Villages in Italy. Terrific site in Italian & English.
- Regions of Italy - From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Regioni d'Italia - Da
Wikipedia, l'enciclopedia libera - starting with the 20 regions of Italy (in Italian) keep going till you reach the statistics on each town in Italy. TIP: You will discover more details in the Italian version of Wiki--[pn]
- Comuni d'Italia, Servizi al Cittadino e alle Pubbliche Amministrazioni - search for addresses and stats on an Italian comune. Use only part of name if it starts with San, Santa, etc. For instance when searching for San Fele, search only for Fele.
- Ancitel: Servizi per i Governi Locali - easy look ups for various government services. The next 2 links are directly from this one.
- Mayors of ITALY and other helpful information - use this to double check on a comune address. TIP, Mayors and Civil Records Offices are often in separate offices if not different buildings altogether. Keep in mind that a Mayor is an elected official who may not be around very long whereas a Civil Servant is on the job until death or retirement. Therefore, you are much better off sending your requests for records to the Official of the Census or Vital Records Office. (read Steve Saviello's Tips here on
(IGO) (on site at Italian Genealogy Online)
- Italian Municipal Institutions - Almost all the "Official" Italian Websites are here. Good site.
- Pagine Bianche Italian Phone Book Italy - Italian White Pages extensive listings of Surnames in EACH Comune. TIPS: Insert a surname (cognome) or a given name (Nome). Click CERCA. If you know the name of the comune (municipality) then type it into the space under "Dove" ------Use this to look up the address of the town hall in the comune you are researching. ------TIP, enter Municipio where it asks for cognome (sometimes you have to use the word Municipale or Comune di --name of
town--pn Good to Double Check on the other online Italian Phone & Address lookups in this section. Also NOTE: the Italian Phone books do NOT list cell-phones or UNlisted numbers.
- PAGINE GAILLE / Italian Yellow Pages - good for many things such as double checking addresses for the Military District, DISTRETTO MILITARE in the Province your ancestor was registered in or enter Comune on top line [cosa] and the name of the town on the second line [Dove].
- Pronto.it - search the Italian white pages.
^ Return to Top ^ | HOME
ITALY PROVINCE ARCHIVES / Archivo di Stato
^ Return to Top ^ | HOME
- Parrocchie / Catholic Church Directory - from Parrocchie.org in Italian. Italian Parish look-up, if you are looking for a comune that starts with San or Santa and don't get a response try the initial S. followed by Fele or whatever is the rest of the name. TIP, not a church run website, it is an independent website. Double check the addresses on the Italian White or Yellow
- Chiesa Cattolica Italiana - Official Italian Catholic Church Site. They changed it *again* so it is not as helpful for finding exact addresses though they have the names but not necessarily the street addresses of the church, TIP, double-check on the Italian Phonebook--[pn]
- Italian White Pages - Use to look up or double check the address of a church. Enter parrocchia under cognome and the name of the comune in the space under Dove. Click on "CERCA"
- Pagine Gialle Italian Yellow Pages - useful in finding Italian Catholic Parish addresses & phone numbers. Try searching for chiesa, chiesa cattolica, chiesa parrocchia, parrocchia, or "chiesa cattolica, servizi parrocchiali", and other such variations. You might also try these combinations on the
Italian Address List above on "this" page, as the other Italian Search page programmers are always changing their "search" parameters. Also, if you find what you are looking keep a note of it as it might not be online, or easy to find the next time you do a search. (things change)
- Diocesi d'Italia \ Maps - Clickable map of Italy showing the boundaries of the Catholic Church Dioceses.
- Diocesi Cattolico Italia - Archdiocese links listing and
Major Catholic Archives in Italy - before the advent of compulsory education for all, the Catholic Church was and still is a repository of written historical reference material.
- Catholic Parishes - Links to Dioceses and their parishes in Italy. (not a complete list)
- Catholic USA Dioceses on the Web - the world's most comprehensive source of U. S. A. Diocesan Internet information, now lists over 10,000 official Catholic e-mail and web addresses.
- Catholic Parishes in ITALY ONLINE - In Italian but more specific than some.
- Local Catholic Church History and Genealogy Guide for Italy - includes a section on Italy with links and addresses of local Archdioceses, Dioceses, and Churches. In English.
^Return to Top ^
links open to a new window, otherwise use your browser back button to return to
this page... Italian Genealogy Online is not responsible for the content of
external internet sites.
Italian Form Letters
Italy Genealogy Family Tree Help
Genealogy Record Keeping
Italy Roots Message Board
For future reference
Genealogy Online and all things Italian
get out of "Frames" right click on one of the links above and
choose "Open in New Window"
or copy a link above and paste onto a new browser window.
you paid to be linked here, please complain to the site that linked
you here as this is a totally free genealogy site for all to use and
The author of this site provides these links as a matter of convenience and does
not necessarily endorse what you may find there nor the accuracy of the
information contained therein.
This website is best viewed with a 800 X 600 screen resolution
Last Revision:14 October 2018
This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated.
Thank you for your consideration and have fun with your family-tree research!
Copyright (c) 1999 - 2018 by
ITALIAN GENEALOGY ONLINE
F R E E - Website Hosting Provided by:
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *