of Italy / Dialetti italiani
Italian dialects were
spoken in Italy a few hundred years ago. Some survive and are still spoken
today. The "dialect" of
Tuscany has evolved, with some changes, into the national language of Italy. In researching your Italian Family
Tree you may find records written in the local dialect of your ancestors.
Most dialects of Italy have been recorded and archived in various types of
Italian Dictionaries but not many are available online via the
Internet. This is a partial list only, if you find your ancestors
"Italian Dialect" Dictionary Online, send me the link and I will add
it to the Dialects of Italy links below in hopes that it will aid you and other
researchers to better understand your Italian
Ancestor's Archives. At the end you will find links for Italian
for Beginners and Italian Proverbs, which you can use to teach yourself the standard Italian used
in most of Italy
NOTE: All off-site links open to a
new page otherwise use your browser back button to return to this page.
of Italy / Dialetti italiani
- The Languages of Ancient Italy - A compendium of resources on the languages spoken in Italy prior to the Roman Conquest.
- The Dialects of Italian - Maps and descriptions of the major Italian dialect regions. Also contains a summary of the major characteristics of urban dialects from Milan to Naples by Claudio Salvucci and Anthony Schiavo.
- The Italian Dialects: MAP - from
I Dialetti Italiani
- Italian Language Map (Italiano) - Map (Mappa) showing the Languages of Italy and more.
- Languages of Italy - from Wikipedia
- The Italian Language - from Encyclopedia.com.
- Indice delle lingue e dei dialetti citati - Concise index of the major languages and dialects of Italy by Giovanni Flechia - Università di Torino 1872-73
- Italian Dialect Poetry by Luigi Bonaffini - dedicated to the great tradition of Italian Dialect Poetry, which is presently undergoing a huge revival. Includes sound clips of many of the Regional Dialects of Italy.
- Dizionario dei dialetti d'Italia - In Italian covers a variety of areas in Calabria, Como, Cozenza, Latina, Lecce, Pescara, Salerno, Siracusa, Vercelli and more added periodically.
- The Lords Prayer - in Latin, Ligurian, Milanese, Piedmontese, Venetan and others in the Gallo-Romance Subgroup.
- Minority languages in Italy - from ask Oxford.
- Mappa dei dialetti italiani -
- Vocabolario Dialetto Abbruzzese - Dialect of Abruzzo in alphabetical order.
- Dizionario di dialetto Aquilano - includes popular expressions
- Piccolo Dizionario Brianzolo-Italiano - Prima versione messa in rete nell'agosto 1999. Ultimo aggiornamento marzo 2014.
- Il Vocabolario dialettale degli Alti Bruzi edited by Luigi Paternostro - etymological dictionary of the dialect from the area on the border of Calabria and Lucania with specific reference to the language of the Comune of Mormanno.
- Dizionario Calabrese - information for Calabria and Calabresi in the world
- Vocabolario del Dialetto Calabrese - di Luigi Accattatis
- Poesia Dialettale Calabrese - how it is said in Calabria includes proverbs by Achille Curcio
- Poesie Calabresi - Achille Curcio- from Calabriaonline/
- Calabrese Verbs - 330 verbs cross-referenced between English, Italian, Catanzarese & Cosentino
- Friulian in Italy - second largest minority language in Italy. (spelling)
- Genoese WebSite - written totally in the dialect of Genova.
- Genovese - Italiano
- Il Vocabolario Grìco-Italiano
- Dialetto di Lecce - Dialetto leccese
- Il dialetto Lucano / Dialect of Basilicata - Basilicata is also still known as Lucania, which is the original name for the Region; from Gingen Italia.
- Il dialetto milanese italiano by meneghino - from Lombardy, history, vocabulary, verbs, expressions and more.
- Dizionario Italiano-Napoletano - Italian to Napoletano Translations.
- Vocabolario italiano-napoletano di Napoletanita' - Click on "Vocabolario" by Umberto de Fabio
- Neapolitan gestures - language of the hands typical in the Neapolitan area although some of them are present in all Southern Italy.
- Occitan in Italy - found mainly in fifteen alpine valleys in the Piedmontese provinces of Torino & Cuneo but also in the regions of Liguria & Calabria (Guardia Piemontese, in the province of Cosenza).
- Piemontese Web Site - totally written in dialect.
- Piccolo Vocabolario Piemontese - Italiano
- Roman Dialect, An Introduction - includes a grammar, a glossary, a list of idiomatic expressions, and other features very well organized & presented by Andrea Pollett
- Roman dialect literature - (mostly poetry), with a parallel translation from Virtual Roma.
- Romanaccio for Beginners - teachers admitting that knowing some "romanesco" if in Roma can be useful.
- Dizionario Romanesco -
- Romansh language - Romance language of the Rhaetian group spoken in northern Italy and Switzerland. Encyclopædia Britannica Article
- Dizionario Romagnolo -
- Dizionario Romagnolo / Italiano -
- Dizionario generale Santostefanese -
- Sardinian Language and Culture - includes
Sardinian Text Database, Colletzione de Testos Sardos
- Dizionario sardo-italiano-inglese -
- Il dialetto di Lizzano - from the Province of Taranto in Sicily.
- The Sicilian Dialect - is comprised of words from the Arabic, Greek and Italian languages
- The Sicilian Language course - from il Siciliano
- Dizionario Siciliano - Italiano - Sicilian to Italian.
- LINGUA SICILIANA: Siciliano Lingua Viva - Tutte le informazioni possibili e immaginabili sulla Lingua Siciliana: origini, storia, evoluzione, grammatica, fonologia, diffusione, vocabolari by Giusi La Tona
- Sicilian Language Course / Lingua Siciliana - Sicilian Language online
- Dialect of Trieste - Il Dialetto Triestino
- Dizionario Triestino - Parole del dialetto triestino che stiamo dimenticando
- Venetian & Venet - clearly of Latin origin, its vocabulary is rich of germanic-origin words. Includes a dictionary with audio.
- Dictionary of Youthful Slang in Italian - Dizionario del gergo giovanile.
Language for Beginners - learn Italian at home for FREE
^ Return to Top ^
Italian Form Letters
Italy Genealogy Family Tree Help
Genealogy Record Keeping
Italy Roots Message Board
For future reference Bookmark this
Genealogy Online and all things Italian
get out of "Frames" right click on one of the links above and
choose "Open in New Window"
or copy a link above and paste onto a new browser window.
you paid to be linked here, please complain to the site that linked
you here as this is a totally free genealogy site for all to use and
The author of this site provides these links as a matter of convenience and does
not necessarily endorse what you may find there nor the accuracy of the
information contained therein.
This website is best viewed with a 800 X 600 screen resolution
Last Revision: 09 Mar 2017
This site may be freely linked, but not duplicated.
Thank you for your consideration and have fun with your family-tree research!
Copyright © 1999 - 2017 by
ITALIAN GENEALOGY ONLINE